HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you go after for deer #1 of the year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/154429-what-do-you-go-after-deer-1-year.html)

Saxman1819 08-31-2006 06:29 PM

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

So what do you go after as soon as you can start hunting? Do you go after a quick doe or right after Mr. Big? Or do you start off with the ole if it's brown, it's down just to get meat in the freezer quick?

Have you ever gone out and shot the bruser you've been watching in all your trail cams on the first day?

This is my second year really bowhunting and since I got skunked last year I really want to hear what you all do. :)

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-31-2006 06:34 PM

RE: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

I'm always after a buck that beats my best buck. The last two years I've taken very unique bucks the last week of PA's season....and I was very happy with both.

gzg38b 08-31-2006 06:34 PM

Where I hunt if it's a mature deer it's down (buck or doe). After I get my first one then I get a little more selective.

BigDaddy12t 08-31-2006 06:37 PM

I dont really have a ton of deer around here, on the land where I hunt, especially big bruiser bucks. I shot my first bow buck last year after bow hunting for 5 years. It was a smaller 8 point, but it was a great deer for me. I just dont see many deer bigger deer than that around. I have held off on some smaller 6's and 8's tho. I really dont like to shoot anything whan it is really warm, but if I need the meat, I will shoot on opening day, or if I am happy with a buck that walks in front of me.;)I think it would all depend on the situation.

mudd_dawg 08-31-2006 06:44 PM

well since here in IL we can bow hunt from oct 1st to the second week of january except the 3 weekends of shotgun i will normally take a doe the first day just to get my meat.then since i dont shotgun hunt i wait till after the the first weekend of shotgun to really go after a big mature buck since no one shotgun hunts our land or the land around ours so i let the shotgun hunters scare all the big guys on to our land.Now with that said if a big ole buck steps in front of me opening day i won't waste a second to drop him and since we can take two bucks a year i will take one early and then wait for that big big really big one until the last day if i have to.last year i shot a real tall thick 9 pointer the 3rd of oct and never took another buck the rest of the year but did take two does

MOTOWNHONKEY 08-31-2006 06:59 PM

I won't kill nothing in my honey hole until I get a whack at a big buck. I don't even want them to know I am there. I just watch, vedio, and enjoy until the opportunity presents, if it presents. I do go to another area and get some doe meat for friends and family.

Fieldmouse 08-31-2006 07:17 PM

I hunt places I expect to see 1 to 2 dozen everytime out with in bow range. I won't shoot anything in those places unless it's huge. I have passed up bigger bucks then I've shot because I've seen huge. I have found that if you are very picky in such areas the deer never change patterns. If you go in and start killing the deer change. I do have areas that I don't expect the big boy to show and can shoot what I want. I just don't have time or care to hunt cat food right now.

rybohunter 08-31-2006 07:26 PM

I am all about does in the early season. I try to shoot them in the outskirt areas and save my good spots for later in the season going after nicer bucks. If I had a good idea of where a monster was hanging, and I had a good wind to set up on him, I might make a stab early in the year. But that is rare.

fuzzjocky2 08-31-2006 07:40 PM

I start the season looking for sika deer up until early muzzle loader season. Sika seem to disappear after that

uncballers45 08-31-2006 07:46 PM

well this is gunna be my first year bowhuntin so im prolly gunna take a doe. there are 2 does on my property and ive been seeing them out my window for the whole summer on an average of 2 times a day. also we dont have anyyyyyy bucks here. i think ive only seen one on my property and it was last year and a spike.