Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SOOOO Close!

Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default SOOOO Close!

I'm driving home from work last night around 2 am. At the end of my street I see eyes near the road. I drive up to see a group of 8 bucks (2 nice 8 points and some 6's and 4's) standing near the road. The night before I saw 8 does in the same spot. I've lived there for 5 years and never saw a deer and now I've seen 16 in two days.

So today I go introduce myself to the landowner at the end of my street in hopes of getting permission to hunt. The property borders a 300 acre nature preserve that is closed to hunting. He tells me "I have no problem at all with you hunting here". I'm jacked and getting real happy! But then he says "BUT, my wife is an animal lover and she really doesn't approve of hunting so I'm going to have to say No".

Man, so close. I'm so dissapointed right now but I don't blame the guy. Maybe I should have waited until next year to ask so I could build a relationship with him and his wife but I was really hoping to get permission this year. I hope I didn't blow it for good.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: SOOOO Close!

Maybe when all those deer start eating her shrubs, flower gardens and veggie gardens she'll change her mind....
Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SOOOO Close!

Tell him you would like to civilly speak with his wife and see if you can work on her. Sometimes a fact based low key arguement can gain you enough footing for her to let you in.