Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chest Waders

Old 08-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Chest Waders

OK all you duck hunters and fly fishermen. I'm in need of a good pair of chest waders for a salmon fishing trip to NY in October. I stopped by Bass Pro and looked but couldn't really make up my mind. They don't have the same waders in store that they do in their online catalog. But anyway, questions. I've figured out that the ones with the built in boot bottoms are a ton heavier than the others with a lace on booty. They also seem more forgiving and manuverable. My brother tells me I need felt bottoms to fish in all the rocks. Tell me about your waders and experiences. He says breatheable and stay away from the neophreme.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Default RE: Chest Waders

I use neoprene boot foot waders. They are a little heavier and it's an extra seam that can leak. My next pair are going to be neoprene stocking foot. As far as neoprene vs. breathable, it depends on what kind of temperatures you'll be fishing in. If it's going to be pretty cold then I would go with neo. but if it's going to be warm (above 55 or so for me anyway) go with the breathable.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

[align=left]
[/align]
[/align]Pilot Togg Breathable Stockingfoot Chest Wader - item 2711118.
You never have to sweat because of hot waders again during those summer and fall fishing trips!
Ultra lite knit microfibre outer shell material.
Exclusive "Quad Seam" stitch construction for ultra seam protection.
Advanced articulated/reinfoced knee construction for a durable and better fit.
Quick release safety belt and belt loops.
"No-sand" attached gravel guards.
Custom chest pocket with hand warmer.
Flat line/adjustable "H back" web suspenders.
Zippered security pocket and top draw cord.
Flex-fit 4 mm neoprene booties.
Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL
Color: Moss-rock Brown
Suggested Retail Price: $239.95
Our Price: $215.95
Select Size:
SMLXL2XL

[/align]

These are some good oneI think you would really like. [/align]

Old 08-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

id stay away from the boot foot ones. i heard they break pretty easy at the seam wherethe boots connect. if you fish cold weather i dont see anything wrong with going with neoprene. they get prettttttty warm. breathables you can layer yourself and stay warm, and when it is warm out just wear shorts...or in your case..blue undies. lol..breathables are much lighter and you have more options...

about the boots..rocks can be VERY slippery when wet...i never wore felt soles, but thats because i do more walking then more wading. ill walk a mile or 2 through the woods to get to a creek. felt soles are supposed to be good on rocks...but i dont see how it can be MUCH better then boots. if you do alot of walking to and from the stream id go with boots and play it safe in the creek. when wading i dont care what boots you have..you gota watch your footing. watch the currents and depths. ive went from knee deep to waist deep in one step. gota be careful out there
Old 08-27-2006, 04:22 PM

I usually don't wear waders when I am shooting my bow.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks guys. I would have posted this somewhere else but found no forum that fit the bill that had any activity. I guess I'll go stocking with lace on booties and breathable. I can put on all the long undies I need. These won't get that much use, 2 or 3 times a year. If I'm in a situation where I have a long ways to go I'll just wear sneakers or something.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

David, you could ask the guys over at "The Refuge". They are serious waterfowlers from all over the place (they have a Virginia forum, a Chesapeake (MD/DE) forum, as a bunch of others):

http://www.refugeforums.com

They know waders... Trust me. I've hunted with a fewwaterfowlers in the beginning of January and they had no problems wading waist deep in a marsh to set decoys. Neoprene is VERY WARM!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:36 PM

stocking foot is much nicer than bootfoot since wading boots generally provide better support that the boots attached to the waders, except for a select few companies that are starting to attach good boots. If you are only wearing them for one trip though you may not want to sink the cash into both waders and wading boots.

Felt kicks butt for wading in rocks. it can be a pain in the snow though, if you are going to NY in Oct you may need to look into a pair of the slip on chain cleats to use while waling to/from the stream.

I use breathables but i fish in them year round, i have fleece liners for cold weather wear. If you are only going to wear them on this trip neoprene might not be a bad choice, especially in Oct in NY.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtech joe hit the nail right on the head

these are some of the best ones:

Simms G3 Guide™ GORE-TEX® Waders
$424.95

They are pricey (those are in cabelas--might find them cheaper somewhere else) but their quality is awesome. The good gore-tex breathable kind coupled with fleece wading pants (and your blue undies if a third layer is needed) are great protection against weather in and out of the water. They cut right thru the wind. I would suggest you get to cabelas or a close flyshop and try a couple of different ones on actually. They can vary exactly how they fit between different models. You'll find ones that are really well fitting will be an advantage in the water (especially in heavier or deeper current)

While there are other companies that make quality waders such as hodgman and DanBailey, I would steer clear of the "Cabelas" series. Cabelas always takes them back and replaces but the new ones seem to start leaking as well. I figure the same with "bass proshop" brand.

If possibleI would take and extra pair of cheaperwaders as back-ups. You don't want to let torn waders dictate where you fish.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a pair you can have if you want to pay what it cost to ship them. They are just a pair of rubber boot foot, but they keep you dry. Only bad thing is they are size 14. Have no need for them - no trout streams in this part of the state [8D]

Quick Reply: Chest Waders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.