Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 sts? any good or not? >

sts? any good or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sts? any good or not?

Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Spike

Default sts? any good or not?

Was wondering if they are worth the money. I currently shoot a tribute and its very quiet as is. I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions about howthey work; good or bad. I am all about getting the best I can out of my equipment.Is it possible to make a great bow better? Ha Ha.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:48 PM

Default RE: sts? any good or not?

A lot of people love them..........and a lot of people complain it makes a "slapping" noise and also damages your string.

Only one way to find out I guess...........I was going to get one this year and just never got around to it. I used to shot a Fred Bear TRX that had a "shock stopper" bumper type thing on it and it was GREAT!!!!! but it kept breaking off........couldn't take the beating of repeated shots. I always thought it was a great idea and whoever perfected it would do VERY well. Has the STS perfected it??.........probably not at this point as I have heard a few issues........but I think they are on the right track.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my STS completely eliminated hand shock on my bow and made it much quiter. At first youll probably geta slapping sound but if you adjust it you get it shooting quitier than ever. The only way to know if you like it is to try it. Mine works wonders for me. Not to mention the addition 4-5 fps you'll get from it.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got mine at about the same time as HuntingEd and our results are similar. After a short adjustment period I am well pleased. My bow is quieter and has less hand shock.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 PM

I loved the 'dead' feel it gave my LX. It made my quiet bow even quieter. I didn't notice any significant string wear even after hundreds of shots. I have seen some people suggest that you can put serving on the area of string that hits the STS. I would think that would solve the problem. I was considering getting one for my ViperTec but it's just so damn quiet like it is that i'm not sure. A buddy has one on order for his Trykon so I might steal his for an afternoon and see what I think.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a slow motion video on a thread a couple of weeks ago showing what happens when the string hits the stop. If the rubber ever comes off and the string hits the metal bar I don't want to be the one holding the bow. It was very violent. I don't want one on my bow. Does any one have that link for the video.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

There was a slow motion video on a thread a couple of weeks ago showing what happens when the string hits the stop. If the rubber ever comes off and the string hits the metal bar I don't want to be the one holding the bow. It was very violent. I don't want one on my bow. Does any one have that link for the video.
Ask and you shall receive;

http://windstalkercableguard.com/multimedia/nowindstalker3.avi
Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

And if the wings fall off the plane, it will crash. I don't wan't to ride in a plane.

Honestly, that is sort of defeatest thinking. If the limbs fail, you wouldn't wanna be the one holding the bow either but you still shoot. Face it, compound bows operate under great stress, if any of a number of things malfunction, it's not going to be fun. (I watched the limbs on an old Mathews Featherlite break while the tech was drawing the bow at my proshop the other day.... I was about 5 feet away. scary)

I choose instead to focus on the good things a product does for me instead of concentrating on the remote chance of a malfunction.

EDIT: even after hundreds of shots on my STS (same model as in the video), the rubber piece isn't even the tiniest bit loose.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:15 PM

If you think about it, the STS is made with withstand the impact of your bow's string. Time after time after time.

Granted there is a chance that it may fail eventually, but as was mentioned above, anything can fail at any time for any reason.

If I had the extra cash laying around I would pick one up myself to try out.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly Reacher! Slow-mo videos of shooting bows have been out for a very long time. To watch the whole thing go down looks extremely violent to the equipment. Look at how much the sight sways from side to side for instance. Every piece on your bow withstands the shock...why wouldn't the STS?

My STS has done wonders to my setup! Best $40 piece of bow equipment I've spent in a long time. From hand shock to string vibration.

In regards to the string slap...you have to tweak the STS a bit when you put it on to see where "YOUR" bow likes it the best. Most are around the same, with the STS just barely touching the string. But some bows like them 1/16" off or maybe a 1/16" into the string. Gotta play with it to see. Also, in regards to string wear....You should really serve the part of the string that makes contact with the STS. That will clear up any string wear issues right there. You just can't take most other pieces of bow gear...slap it on your setup and expect it to work. You have to work with it!

Quick Reply: sts? any good or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.