Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 old compounds...new compounds >

old compounds...new compounds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

old compounds...new compounds

Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default old compounds...new compounds

Any comments or thoughts you have are greatly appreciated...

Took a good look at some new compounds from browning, darton, mathews, alpine and hoyt the other day. this is probably the first time ive really looked in 2 years. man things have really improved in just that short amount of time.! I still shoot a PSE polaris express thats maxed out at 60#guessing 225fps with a hunting arrow. itsa 11 year old bow now. i got it when i was 14 for about 180$. I really like this bow it draws smooth and i can shoot 3inch groups at 30 yards all day. But lookin at those new bows really made me want one. what is the best allaround bow for 700$ price range?
I know they've improved alot but, Do you guys think $1000 fully loaded rigs are really worth it,? Or should i stick with the old "battle axe"? How many guys out there are shooting compounds that are 7-12 years old?

I have a Chek-mate recurve on order from Chad "LBR" at recurves.com im gonna give instictive-traditional a shot next huntin season. these bows are way more fun to shoot and take years to master. cant wait!

Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Default RE: old compounds...new compounds

I have no Idea how old the bow is, but my dad still hunts with a Bear Bruin. It is an older bow. Anyone know when the Bruin was made? It is a 70 lb. draw with a 30 in length. He swears by it and will not get a new one. He can group 6 arrows in a 3 in. area at 30 yards all day long with this "OLD" bow.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your old bow will still get the job done if properly tuned. I say yes the $1000 rig is worth it. I shoot a Switchback.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

around 25 years old would be my guess. bow makers put the same model out for years in a row back then tho so its hard saying how old it might be
Old 08-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is a bear bruin on ebay with one bid for 14.95$. it looks like its from the late 80's
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get the whole "gotta get a new bow every year" thing. I don't care if someone elsebuys one every week...It's just not my thing. My bowhunting buddy has to get the newest Matthews every year or so. He spends more time setting up his bows than I do hanging stands.

I shot a Bear Grizzly until 1989. Did fine with it. Then in 1989I boughta Pro-Line Force II.That bow killed A LOT of animals, and shot a lot of 3D...and Iwouldn't have given it up for the world. BUT, last year one of the grooves on the wheel got a nick on it and was chewing strings. I hung it up. It was kind of sad letting that bow go after 16+yrs.

I bought a Martin recently, and it's a good bow. But I can't get used to not carrying 12 pounds through the woods. LOL

I will say one thing. We are now spoiled. I can take a complete moron that has never shot a bow and have him shooting decent 20yd goups in an hour. These new bows are simple to set up, and easy to shoot. We've come a long ways from shooting off the shelf and wrapping a magazine around our forearms to keep from getting "skinned". LOL
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Pops was sayin they have a bow out with an axel to axel of 23inches or something like that just wondering who makes this bow cuz he couldnt remember what he was told.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I think maybe every 3 yrs maybe, but not every year. My old bow is a PSE baby-g thats 5 yrs old and it shoots great, but it's not near as smooth and fast as the new bows like hoyt, mathews, and bowtech, etc. Im gonna buy a new bow this year.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tony T,
Any ideas on what you are thinkin about buyin. What catches your Eye?

Old 08-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

I've got my choices narrowed down to either the mathews switchback XT or the bowtech tribute. I like the way both shoot and feel. But I like the speed of the bowtech better, the grip of the bowtech fits me better also. I think I'm going to get the tribute, but I'm gonna shoot both again when I go back to the shop. The trykon was really close too, but I just didnt like the way it felt to me. Thats the biggest thing, finding the bow that fits "you".

Quick Reply: old compounds...new compounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.