Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last? >

Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last?

Old 08-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last?

I've been using cabon clothes for over 10 years now and swear by the stuff. The first I had was first generation Scentlok which I replaced about 5 years ago with Scent Blocker. I've not yet noticed any diminished effectiveness but am beginning to wonder if it's time to replace. We all know this stuff aint cheap but when it comes to my bowhunting, I'll always find a way to kep my equipment in the best shape.

I am in my carbon clothes probably 30-40 days per year for at least a few hours and many days all day so it's getting used and washed regularly.
Just wondering how long before you guys generally replace your carbon?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last?

Sounds like a good question for the manufacturer. Maybe you should e-mail em
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Washing is a killer.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use mine a lot also. I don't wash it very often but do send it through the drier regularly to reactivate. I stuff it in a pillow case so it doesn't rub thefinish off while tumbling around. I have had my latest outfit for 4 years and it seems to be in great shape.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Once again I typed a perfectly composed paragraph explaining what fatty acids, oils and perspiration do to your suit. Once again this board timed out the thing before it posted. The short version, Your suit is worn out. 2 to 3 years is about the best you can expect from these things with moderate to heavy hunting. Home dryer temperatures will NOT release these non volitile substances from your carbon. Care must be taken at all times to keep down contamination. With each use more and more non-volitile substance are introduced that deteriorate performance. Sorry for the short version. The last post was worthy of a double Kudo deer head.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 AM

In all likelihood it was probably "used up" by the time you got it home from the store. As David said your home dryer will not remove adsorbed material from carbon so it pretty much amounts to very expensive camo.

I have often wondered how or why people believe that air/odor from their body flows out through their jacket like they show in those diagrams with the arrows rolling over the carbon molecules physics tends to get in the way of that theory. Air and all the scent that goes with it will pass out the escape route of LEAST resistence. This fact can be proven with ANY jacket you have......carbon or not. Put a piece of garlic or an onion or any smelly thing inside the coat between your chest and the jacket and bend over and try to smell it through the jacket............then pull the jacket slightly away from your body and "fluff" it a little and get a whiff of what comes out the neck opening. The only way a garment could force air through itself would be in an airtight seal.

It's time to replace your carbon suit alright.............the question is with what??
Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 AM

YEP 3 years of regular hunting and drying and its a wrap. time to replace.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

X-Scents is a great product, no carbon, no drying.

Here is the web site

http://www.xscent.com/

I am sure the critics(who do not even use it) will come out.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking I was on borrowed time although I didnt get busted once last year. I washed it only when it really got muddy or bloody and then only with carbon wash and treated it in the dryer often.I intended to ask the manufacturerer but was wondering what the consensus was among the members here.

Carbon isnt a cure all but I've only been busted a few times since I started using it. Every time, I could definitely I'd shortcut something. you still gotta be clean clean cleanand stay away from fido, household odors, the gas pump etc etc
Old 08-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just got a response from Robinson Labs. they say 5-7 years with proper care. Based on how much I use the stuff, I think it's time to buy a new set.

Quick Reply: Scent Blocker Scentlok How long does it last?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.