Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow stand set-ups. >

Bow stand set-ups.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow stand set-ups.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow stand set-ups.

In order for some of our younger and less experienced hunters to get a hand on what makes a greatbow stand post some pictures of your favorite or most effective stand. Along with pictures, please explain what makes it such an effective set up. Be sure to include the most crucial aspects of what it takes to make the perfect stand.

I set this stand up in the middle of July, well before the September 16th bow season opener. The prevailing winds are from the West. My entrance is un-intrusive and always from the East. I've got a 1/4 mile walk down logging roads and atv trails to get there, so my entrance is not only un-intrusive but quiet as well.

According the thousands of trail cam photos I've received since July from this area, it appears that nearly all of the deer will be entering from the West. This enforces that my entrance teamed with the prevailing wind and the direction of deer travel should be perfect. Here is a pic of the main deer trail, coming from the West.

Here a picture of my stand, looking from the main deer trail:

I'm pumped about this entire set-up. I've done my homework and I know that this stand will be successful for many years to come. If you've got a great stand set-up and can explain what makes it so good then do share.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow stand set-ups.

James Vee, that is a great setup because of everything you've described. I ask, and why aren't you on my team, hell I set them up...I'm too darn honest for my own good. I'm looking forward to your end pictures, ie..the bow laying across the chest of one of those bucks.

Here's a picture of my "honey hole" stand. I've hunted this property for more years than I can remember. The stand is in an oak tree over looking a CRP/golden rod field bordered on one side by woods and hedge row and crop fields on the other. I slowly made my trek to this tree through years of watching the whitetails. I moved from the woods to the hedge row to this tree from watching the whitetails from other treestands including one across the field in this pic.....the deer, especially bucks would walk this field from woodlot to woodlot..a natural funnel.

I've since added my food plot to this once overgrown field and I anticipate my first year in the stand with the food plot. Here's a b4 and I'll add the food plot from the ground looking toward the stand location. You can see it in the vacancy of the tree foliage. I'm hanging stands this weekend for the Sept 30th opener. I got them out in the rain last night to scent down....they lay in my yard. After hanging stands, I'll add a shot looking down over the plot.

Last year looking out over the location:

Looking up into the treestand last year after tagging my buck.

Looking at the same stand location with the food plot added this year:

You can view more pictures from the stand as well as deer pictures while hunting in my HuntingNet journal at this link: http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal.aspx?id=58
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob that food plot looks like a money-maker. Great looking set up.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went with a home made ladder stand in this location, since the largest tree is about 4" wide. the wind usually blows from the south here. You can see the two major brushlines connecting at a major fence crossing. To the west, there is a major thicket and they tend to walk the brushline to go back and forth between the field and bedding area.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the major fence crossing. When we redid the fence, we bulldozed all the brush into piles, and left this area open. I also only put 3 strands of barbed wire up on the fence in this area, compared to 5 on the rest of the fence. Note all of the deer tracks.

If you look at the top right of this pic, you can see my truck. 20 yards down, is where the stand is.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

the food source.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is the bedding area a few hundred yards up from the stand.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:33 AM

those all look like awsome spots, man james that trail is beaten down, good luck guys they all look like sweet spots
Old 08-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, a great thread like this one that James Vee starts, informative and entertaining and we can't get more feedback...comon guys and gals, let's see those stand setups or hear why you choose where you choose to hunt.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM

This is a great thread, and I really wish I had photos to contribute. The only pictures I have are looking up at the stand.

The next time I'm in the woods with the camera I'll be sure to take a few extra pictures to contribute.

Quick Reply: Bow stand set-ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.