Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow stand set-ups. >

Bow stand set-ups.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow stand set-ups.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow stand set-ups.

LOL, nope, she keeps me and I want it that way, fit....lol and that's not a bad idea, I mean the Beech, not the food. One other thing, as you can tell by that one photo...I'm quite shaded/shadowed as well...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 AM

I don't have any photos of my set up only because I'm not setting foot back in there until opening day, and only if the wind is perfect. I'll explain it, though.

There is a creek bottom that was logged about.....5 or 6 years ago. As you can imagine, it's terribly thick in there. That's the bedding area I figure. Anway, about....150 yards to the north of that are 2 ridge tops that come together and form a point dumping down into that bedding area. On that point are 3 very large white oaks that drop lots of acorns every year. Unfortunatly, there really isn't a decent tree for a treestand, so I've set up my pop up blind there and brushed it in really good. The plan is to let the deer get used to that blind, and bust one opening weekend feeding on the white oaks. That's the plan anyway.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess you're right Rob, if I were married to a good looking lady like that I'd worry about loosing too much weight.[&:] You kids have fun and practice safe hunting.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Can I have your password MOTOWN?

No problem, just don't mess with my sig.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote]ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Can I have your password MOTOWN?

No problem, just don't mess with my sig.

Now why would I do that, your bigger than me. [8D]
Old 08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh, brush that puppy in. When I used old ladder stands like that I painted them with water base paint in a camo patter in April or May and left them out in the rain until August when I put them up. Platform is not level( a real pain when you're trying to stand and turn quietly with deer within range. When you build those puppies, put the runners for the seat and the platform at a slight uphill angle running away from the ladder. That way you can have the ladder at an angle outward from the tree making it easier to climb, yet have a level platform and seat. Also, you don't need braces that large(2x4) for supports. A strip of 1x3 will do the same thing only lighter. I put carpenters glue and sheet rock type screws in rather than nails. The screws pull it tight, don't splinter the wood and the glue bonds it all forever.

Yeah, that picture was immediately after I put it up. It's camo'd now, and I nailed some brush to it. It was a boneheaded move by not compensating for the angle of the ladder. I pulled it down today and rebuilt the top, much less lean to it.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm bringing this thread back for two reasons;

A) Its got some excellent information that some members may have missed.
B) I have pictures to include now.

As some of you will remember, I posted a picture I obtained through Google Earth requesting help on locating possible stand sites. I included the stand that I usually hung and requested your thoughts.

This is that picture from Google Earth and pictures of the view from the stand I normally hang.

The red dot is my stand, the yellow dots are where deer generally enter the field. The field is cut alfalfa.

There aretwo main trails visible in the photo. A third is located directly undernieth the small tree towards the center of the photo. Towards the top of the photo you can see an apple tree that always produces fruit. There are several trails down by that tree as well, all leading to the field.

The tree that is sort of blocked by my site is another small apple tree which always produces fruit. One of the three trails runs directly underneith this tree. The two trails located in the previous picture run about five yards in front of my tree, thus you aren't able to view them here in this photo.

The trees farthest away in this picture are on the opposite side of a small draw. Located in the bottom of this draw is a small creek that never dries up. There are numerous trails leading from the opposite side of the draw to this field, most converge at some point with one of the three trails nearest my stand.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is my first stand site where I call Dead Does Point.
It faces east with a west wind and off to my right is a lot hardwoods and whiteoaks.
To my left a small ridge that goes ends at a point before it meets a marsh.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

My second stand site is located in a what I call the Oak Holler.
It also faces east ( the wind always seem to come from W by NW ) and to the left is where the holler is.
To my right about 50 to 70 yard or so is a swamp and there is two main trails on both sides.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:06 AM

James Vee, nice stand and location! I have a smilar setup by have never thought about taking pictures of it. The key here is that you have some open shooting lanes and also that your stand is above some branches which further conceals you from being spotted. As I mentioned, mine is almost the same as yours and I have very good luck. I've even sticked a few deer over the years when the others in the herd had no idea where I was or what just happened!