Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow stand set-ups. >

Bow stand set-ups.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow stand set-ups.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow stand set-ups.

Can I have your password MOTOWN?

James Vee, I was able to sneak in and hang stands so I finally have some pics of the food plot from the stand point of view. The disc'd area is where I recently planted Buckwheat around my clovers for a good ground cover to prepare it for brassicas and other broad leafs?

And if you look close, you can see the stands (2) in the center/ top of the this next photo...2 stands, one for a camera man.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:36 PM

3 things

1. Keep the wind in your face.
2. An unintrusive entrance
3. Have a good back drop so they can not pick up your outline.

And don't forget to scout. You can't killem where they aint.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

cosmowvu, about #1 on your list. Just when I worry about the wind being right for the spot I am hunting, a deer comes in from the wrong direction. Some how they don't know what direction they are suppose to come in from. Does anyone else have this problem? When hunting a food plot, which direction should the wind be? If it blows your scent into the plot any doe that gets there before the buck will bust you. If it blows into the woods any deer coming your way will smell you. Just wondering?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

jmbuckhunter,

Same thing in this particular stand, I have deer come in from 360 degrees around me, you never know where they are coming from...scent control is the most important thing, we can't eliminate all the scent, but reducing it has done me well.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:52 PM

I wish I had an answer for that one but unfortunately i don't have the good fortune to hunt many food plots. I hunt mainly hard woods in Wayne Natl. Forest in Ohio or in West Virginiaand it always seems that the deer come from wherever I don't want them to come from. When this happens I just consider myself lucky to be in the tree instead of behind the desk.

Remember the deer try to keep the wind in their face the same way we do. It is not by accident that some of those bucks get to be so large. They are very crafty and smarter than alot of us give them credit for.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cosmowvu

I wish I had an answer for that one but unfortunately i don't have the good fortune to hunt many food plots. I hunt mainly hard woods in Wayne Natl. Forest in Ohio or in West Virginiaand it always seems that the deer come from wherever I don't want them to come from. When this happens I just consider myself lucky to be in the tree instead of behind the desk.

Remember the deer try to keep the wind in their face the same way we do. It is not by accident that some of those bucks get to be so large. They are very crafty and smarter than alot of us give them credit for.
This why I have to laugh when I hear someone say set up downwind of where the deer will be. Like they know. The deer I hunt don't always know where they are SUPPOSED to be.They like to come in from downwind so they know what is ahead of them. Like Rob said, I try to stay as scent free as possible and hope for the best.I also try to keep my stands as high as possible.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Allwe can really do is deal with liklihoods.What travel path is an animal likely to take.No they sure don't alwaysdo what you expect them to.For me that is the best reason for keeping as clean and scent free as I am able to.For all the just in case's.Just in case he doesn't come from that direction,just in case the wind shifts,just in case he runs doe's down wind of me etc.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

James VEe, great set up. You didn't go crazy cutting away your cover. Lots of cover even after the leaves fall.

RobPa, you need some background cover. With your (shall we say larger than average frame) sitting up there, I'd see you.

Josh, brush that puppy in. When I used old ladder stands like that I painted them with water base paint in a camo patter in April or May and left them out in the rain until August when I put them up. Platform is not level( a real pain when you're trying to stand and turn quietly with deer within range. When you build those puppies, put the runners for the seat and the platform at a slight uphill angle running away from the ladder. That way you can have the ladder at an angle outward from the tree making it easier to climb, yet have a level platform and seat. Also, you don't need braces that large(2x4) for supports. A strip of 1x3 will do the same thing only lighter. I put carpenters glue and sheet rock type screws in rather than nails. The screws pull it tight, don't splinter the wood and the glue bonds it all forever.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

D, Larger than average frame?...I think you have me mistaken for someone else...lol Anyhow, I've never once been picked out in this particular stand...not once...I guess that say's alot for open pattern camo. One a side note, that stand is 23' off the ground and it's hard to tell from the photo, there is background coverage, in fact the next tree I can touch from my stand and I think it's a Beech or like tree that hangs on to it's leaves through my season...thanks tho...I always take suggestions to heart.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, maybe I was assuming that now that you're married you'll be eating better and gaining weight. Pull that beech over and tie it off behind your tree.

Quick Reply: Bow stand set-ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.