Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anything wrong with shooting a  righthanded bow lefthanded? >

Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Hi all.
i am left handed and was messing around with a buddies bow today as I am kicking around buying one for myself.

I although I shot way left I did group consistently in the same spot.

if it were my bow i could have adjust the sights and probably been on target.

And of course shooting left handed theres no chance of stringslap. I am wondinering If i even need a lefthanded bow because I have had to adjust to much tougher righthanded devices than this.

is there any reason why shooting a righthanded bow in a lefthanded sstance could be disadvantageous other than the fact you are putting the arrow in on the other side?

anything that would keep you from acheiving consistant accuracy? ( such as line of sight versus path of arrow)

I dont know much about bow to eye sight geometry as i am more of a shooter ( and crossbower..) but i am curious as what the general consensus is on this

tia

Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

WOW, I never really thought of any reason what so ever one would want to do that if buying a new bow...if your buying one, buy a proper one...string slap should never be a problem with proper bow length and form....

Shooting one opposite handed could of course be consistance when redundancy/repetitiveness is acheived however down sides could be not having enough adjustment in sights, rests adjustments, odd form etc...I'd imagine one could do it, I just don't know why one would.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
New Sheriff

My buddy shoots a left-handed bow. I shot it a few years back and loved the way it felt, it just lined up better than any right-handed bow I have ever shot. I shot it using the traditional right-handed stance.

I don't see anything wrong with it and to be honest there are a few positives.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I too am a left handed person. I always thought about getting into archery hunting. One day I found a good bear bow at a yard sale with everything including a case for $150. One problem, it was a right handed bow. I bought it anyway and have had no problem adjusting to shooting right handed. But like Rob said, if your going to buy a new bow, go get a left handed bow so you won't have to make the sacrifice.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:59 PM

Do it the right way, get a left handed bow, and it will allow for better performance that if you shoot on the wrong side. It is the way to go, especially if you are getting a new bow. I don't have to worry about string slap. Rotate your shooting elbow out and you will be fine once you have the form down. But get the right bow man. Those are my $.02...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Northwind~

Do it the right way, get a left handed bow, and it will allow for better performance that if you shoot on the wrong side. It is the way to go, especially if you are getting a new bow. I don't have to worry about string slap. Rotate your shooting elbow out and you will be fine once you have the form down. But get the right bow man. Those are my $.02...
but why will I get better performance? I honewstly dont know , I have zero experiance with compound bows and proper form. I know to aim the sucker, plant my hand on my cheek and pull the release trigger.

what am I missing here that changes performance depending on which side of the bow you are on?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

My buddy shoots a left-handed bow. I shot it a few years back and loved the way it felt, it just lined up better than any right-handed bow I have ever shot. I shot it using the traditional right-handed stance.

I don't see anything wrong with it and to be honest there are a few positives.
yeah I was really surprised to discover that holding the bow the wrong way felt waaymore comfortable than adjusting my stance to use the wrong hand.. go figure
Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's kind of like running with your shoes on the wrong feet. Sure you can do it, butwhy would youwant to?

The biggest problems I see are the grip feeling funky and the riser cutout being on the wrong side which would make it real hard to see your sight pins.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 AM

Which is your dominate eye? What ever your dominate eye is which bow you should get. I am a lefty but right eye dominate, I shoot my bow right handed as well as shooting a gun.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ummm yea, are you insane, or are you impadextrious?

Quick Reply: Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.