Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anything wrong with shooting a  righthanded bow lefthanded? >

Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Anything wrong with shooting a righthanded bow lefthanded?

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

If you live anywhere close to the Baltimore area, stop by my shop and I'd be glad to show you how to shoot the "X" ring whileshooting the same bow both left-handed and right-handed. In order to do it you must have good form, correct draw length, a well tuned bow, a neutral grip, and the strength to pull the bow efficiently with either hand.
does the point of impact change depending on sides? i noticed i was shooting way left but i was grouping tight.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:44 PM

Like others said, it's not the hand you shoot with as much as it is what eye is dominant.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: minnesotahunter

Like others said, it's not the hand you shoot with as much as it is what eye is dominant.
im definately left eye dominant
Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Exoman, some bows, like the Hoyt would create a problem because they have that support brace in the way. Len's point of impact is the same either way. You'd have to be closing one eye if one is really more dominant and you're shooting from the wrong side. Personnally, I buy a bow of the right side for various reasons. Also, how would the quiver and the loading of a new arrow be effected. Oddly I predict. Shoot with the right sided bow and your free hand, the one you release with is free and clear to get the arrow quickly without problems. If you shoot the wrong one you'd have to turn the bow on it's side or reach across to get the arrow and bring it back. Just makes more sense to do it right to begin with. Kind of like shooting a right handed gun left handed.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

ive been shooting guns since i was little, and until hunters' safety i didnt realizei was left eye dominant, but im a righty. ive always just shot w/ my left eye closed and everything seems to be working fine. id say if shootin a bow not made for the hand ur shootin it w/ works fine for you, then stick with it. with some practice you should be able to overcome any problems, except the whole quiver thing that was mentioned before, not much you can do about that.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:20 AM

my main concern is if shooting a right handed bow left handed is going to handicap me in the mechanics of sight alignment and proper form. i am used to dealing with clumsy operation... right handed bolt actions, my ar10 can really give me a faceful, not to mention ak47's.

arrow loading seemed more intuitive when I shot this bow backwards, the quiver could always be outrigged somewhere else. I dont have my mind made up but I just want to stay open. I have found operating right handed obejects left handed can sometimes gives unseen advantages. like playing guitar for example. your left hand is on the fret board instead of picking. it gives you quite an advantage with note speed simply because your left hand is used to being more dexterous.