Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cheap digital scouting cameras >

Cheap digital scouting cameras

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap digital scouting cameras

Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Cheap digital scouting cameras

cheap = cheap in almost every aspect of life
Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i've said it once i've said it a hundred times. buy the trailtimer ez-cam. it's film, i know, but let me explain. Here's what you get for about $125 (cabelas bargain cave has them for $69).

-- long battery lifeon 2 AA and 1 9-volt (about 3-4 months)
-- excellent trigger time (has to be around 1 sec or less) - i have a pic of an owl swooping down at a mouse. try that with your wildview and moultrie
-- great flash range
-- great pic quality
-- trouble free operation - i have 2 trailtimers. my photohunter has been in the woods almost non stop for about 6 years!Do you think the wildview is going to last that long. I certainly don't have that high of hopes for mine. My trailtimer EZ-Cam is about 4? years old. They work like new.

here's the down side
-- it's film and you have to develop the pics. that sucks but you take the good with the bad.
-- limited to 24 or 36 pics. i put mine on trails not on feeders so it takes me a couple weeks to fill up a roll anyway. i usually develop the pics when it's around 15+ pics. hardly ever goes over 24.

I have the wildview 2.0 and it sucks! I'd return it but I've also returned 2 other digital models and I think cabelas will start banning me pretty soon. the only digital model i could recommend is the bushnell 119200 it's about $149 though.If thelower resolution bushnells perform the same way I'dDEFINITELY look into those. The bushnellhas a weak flash butother then that it's perfect for trail monitoring (not perfect for feeders though)

people talk about the cost of developing film but there are digital cams out there that will go through more money in batteries over a season then i spend on batteries + developing -- or at least it seems that way . i hate changing out my 4c batteries every two weeks [:@]. i actually miss more pics on my wildview because my batteries are dead then i do on my film cam because the roll is full. HONEST!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 35mm Deercam. Had it for 3 years now and spent about $50 last season on film developing and one set of bateries 2AA and 2 9volt. Works great, but would like to get into digital just to be able to see the photos when I get out of the woods.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I got one of the Wildview Digital Cams from WM 3 weeks ago, got some nice pics on it, it hasn't needed new batteries, It was only $59. I have to worry about thieves, so anything over $100 just is too risky. I think it was worth my $$$..

Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM

I like my wildview digital 2.0. You get what you pay for. It's a basic camera that takes basic, nice quality pics. Nothing too fancy and the trigger time is slow but I've been pleased. Buy yourself a couple of sets of rechargable batteries and charger (ran me $60 total) and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info everyone - including the pictures... that really helps! From what I read from everyone it certainly meets my criteria. I realize as the weather gets colder I'll go through batteries faster also - that's just the way it goes. I was simply going to buy it from Cabelas (99$ -$10 rebate = 89$).. but I saw some other interesting prices here. It's the Wildview 2.0 Megapixel with 16mb of memory.. did anyone else get it much cheaper somehwhere else? So far my searches haven't turned up much except that price.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 PM

I own 1 Wildview 2.0 and 3 Wildview 3.1's. They are awesome. Wildview, which is made by Stealthcam, has some issues with flash/shutter synchro, which means if you are getting black pics at night, then your shutter is going off after the flash. My 2.0 had an issue with that, but that is soon to be fixed.
Asides from that, I have no complaints, other than not enough big bucks are walking by mine. Can anyone help me with that?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Ps. You can find a better deal than the one from Cabelas.
Try www.harrys.com or Ebay.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Her's what I did to solve the battery eating problem.

I got a battery charger and some Energizer Nicad ( rechargeable) batteries.

Sure, it costs alot up front but I don't have to buy anymore.