Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What we really hate about hunting shows >

What we really hate about hunting shows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What we really hate about hunting shows

Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 PM

Default What we really hate about hunting shows

The thing i hate the most is that most shows will take 20 minutes to even see the deer there going to shoot. why dont they show some down time kill the deer and then give helpful hints and show some of the ways they track the deer after the shot. I watch the shows to see if i can learn anything. but after watching the same stuff over and over since i was in diapers it really doesnt help. i only watch the shows anymore to see if maybe they get that monster buck
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What we really hate about hunting shows

I agree with you. Not much info. Just shooting and gawking.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Dominant Buck

If they really wanted to show some things that would be informational, rather than promotional, they'd go into the hunt more. Example, my stand is 22 feet off the ground to the platform. I'm hunting this trail because, yada yada yada.....here's a speck of blood, here's another etc etc. Don't have the dang camera the other side of the deer zooming in on you as you look up surprised and say, "There he is". GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Go ahead, field dress the dang thing and show a kid what's going to have to be done. If you can't do it on TV, at least do it on the videos you sell in the stores. Why NOT!!!!

Speaking of videos, I broke down and bought another the other day. I gave away about 125 of them a while back and said I wouldn't buy any more. Well, I bought this one "Whitetail Country". What a piece of crap. It was 2 hours of all the "BIG NAMES" in hunting shows telling how great each other is. Hardly any hunting to the thing. It was totally, "LOOK AT US. YOU SHOULD BE IMPRESSED". It is the worst video I've ever seen. BULL HOCKEY.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't have the dang camera the other side of the deer zooming in on you as you look up surprised and say, "There he is". GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Amen... I think THAT'S the part that has always got under my skin more than anything else.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Don't have the dang camera the other side of the deer zooming in on you as you look up surprised and say, "There he is". GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Amen... I think THAT'S the part that has always got under my skin more than anything else.
I'm with you guys. So FAKE!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a video by Knight & Hale -- I think it was last year's double whitetail set -- where this cute redhead shoots a deer, waits a long time to go after it because of the shot placement, but when she gets there, the deer's legs are all folded up under it like it's bedded down... I've NEVER approached a dead deer where its legs were anything but splayed out to the side.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many times do you see a shot that is obviously about 6-8" too far back, probably a gut shot,they proclaim what a great shot it was and then find the animal and claim it didn't go 80yds. I sometimes wonder if they just came back the next day to track it? Be honest and we can all learn something.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mentioned this in the other thread about videos as well.

I cannot stand to hear them LAUGH immediately following a good shot on a deer. It's disrespectful to the animal whose life you just took. You can express many emotions following a good shot. I do too and I have nothing against expressing them. Laughing though just makes us look like a bunch of goofballs that think it's funny to "kill things." Bad PR in my book.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Dave i agree with you a hundred percent, these shows are becoming a joke. They find a deer etc. in a short search thats stiff already,and the animals mouthis all cleaned up. These shows are making it easy for none hunters to hate our guts with all this cheering going on after the shot, this is not the way to show our sport. Rich
Old 08-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I agree, it's really not a laughing matter.
All the fist pumping,dancing and carrying on is just goofy.
I have never done any of those things? Course I'm not in a tree with a cameraman on national TV either?
I think a more somber reaction is more the norm among hunters?
If i tried to dance around I'd probably fall out of the tree!

Couple other things I notice that I don't like.
While everyone preaches scent control(and they advertise it heavily on the same shows), you see these guys having breakfast in their hunting clothes,going out,hopping in a truck or BadBoy Buggie, riding outto their stands? Doesn't anyone put their hunting clothes on after they get out of the truck and are ready to walk to their stands?Now I am not the most fanatical about scent control but I don't stop at Perkins on the way to hunt? I always make sure my truck has gas so I don't have to stop and get all gassy smelling on the way to hunt. I even spray the inside of my truck with scent killer. The cab of my truck smells like dirt!

They also make it look like they just roll out of bed, put on camo and go hunting. Doesn't anyone shower before they go out? I know I do. Not like they need to show it but at least make it appear that they get up extra early so they have time to? In the winter I have to get up an hour and half before I leave the house. I have long hair and it takes about an hour for it to dry. Frozen hair is no fun,let me tell you!

I, for one, could use a fewless "kill shots" and more informational stuff on where to place a stand,how high and why,Trailing hit deer(real trailing, not with the cameraman already there),tips on how to gain access on land to hunt, Field dressing info,calling, etc
I think they should also show the reality of missing(not that I EVER miss)

Hopefully some in the industry will see these posts and adjust their shows.

Quick Reply: What we really hate about hunting shows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.