Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Loving it

Old 11-07-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Loving it

I just started bow hunting this year and it is so challenging. I have took 4 shots this season already. I took a button opening weekend (thought it was a doe or I wouldnt have took it.) I was on the ground then. Every other shot I have taken has been out of a stand and havent hit nothing. I cant tell you wether my arrows are high or low all I know is I missed a nice little 6 pointer last weekend and I was really tore up about it. He was walking right toward me and I was to impatient and took a shot at 30 yards when he was probably going to walk right by me. This is such a challenge. I guess I better start practicing out of a tree.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:05 AM

Default RE: Loving it

Oh yea I forgot to add I cant ever wait to get back to the woods. The work week just seems to drag.

** Out on a limb **
Old 11-07-2002, 09:47 AM

Just remember to stay calm and focused. Getting a proper shot is being patient, but making the shot count is another story. Remember shot placement. Shooting at a deer is not guaranteeing you success, but placeing your shot right behind the shoulder will up your percentages of harvesting your buck. I wish you the best of luck this season, and cant wait to see pics of your buck with a bow, I can already see your big smile.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:00 AM
bjk

A tactic that may work is to draw an H on the broadside deer and aim just below the middle section of the letter. If you connect on the center of the middle section of the letter H, just behind the front leg, a vital area hit is almost assured.

Also, people usually place shots high when shooting from a treestand. It is related to proper form when shooting. From the ground, you shoot and get set with how you feel comfortable, when in the treestand, you think you are doing everything the same, but in fact you are probably lowering your arm and anchor points, rather than bending at the waist. If possible, try practicing from a treestand, your point of impact is always a bit different (usually high) then from the ground.

One other point, then I'll be quiet. If possible, try to follow the path of your arrow from the time you release. This will come in handy when wondering exactly where you hit the animal. It will also make for better follow through and shot placement.

My .02
Brian
Old 11-07-2002, 10:03 AM

Jeremy
While sitting in your stand mentally picture where the deer will probably come from and where you should try and take your shot. I usually know where most of my deer come from so I try to pre-determine that if I see a deer coming down "x" trail I will draw at "x" point and take my shot when he reaches "x" point. Sometimes the deer don't always follow the trails I expected but it really helps take the surprise and panic out of the situation.

I hope you didn't take the shot at the 6 pt while he was walking towards you.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:09 AM

Have you practiced shooting from an elevated position at all?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:24 AM

No I didnt take the shot while he was walking toward me he prsented me with a braodside shot.