Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas >

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

If I can ever get up there I'm sure it will be a blast. I have a 9 week newborn that is colicy.... Hopefully she gets over it soon so my wife and I can get some hunting in!! Just met a friend of a friend that has about thirty acres around the corner from me. He invited me out opening day for dove.... Free hunting!!! Hell yea!!

Nothing I hate most than sighting on a target and gnats and mosquitos in your ears and eyes. What does one of these thermacells sell for??

-D
Old 08-22-2006, 12:03 AM

Anywhere from $20 to $30!!! Wallyworld, Eckerds, internet, ....

Wallyworld also sells the Thermascent, they ARE NOT the same thing. The Thermascent is a scent dispersant, and the Thermacell is the bug deterent. I believe they're made by the same company, they look similar and operate on the same principle (heat), but the end results are different.

I only tell you this because a co-worker bought the Thermascent by mistake.

Getcha one and enjoy it! Once you do, you won't leave home without it, and IF you do, you'll go back home and get it!.

Go ahead and pick-up some refil packs while you're at it.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

True that. Cheap & works.
Txmarshmonkey, have you ever seen your ET deer react to the smell? I have on a few occasions at my Splendora lease and wonder if you have experenced the samething.
For the record the deer on my ET lease are high strung and evaporate at the slightest hint of anything out of the ordinary.

ddeblance, did you get my PM? or was I pop up blocked?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:47 AM

No, not the smell of my thermacell,....not yet anyway. I have had deer from 1-10 yards away from the tree I was sittin in while using it. BUT, they were all younger does and a couple yearling bucks. I can't speak much for last season, I didn't SEE a deer or a hog after the last week of bow season. Everything in my little area just vanished when thesmokepoles hit the woods.
You're right them suckers are skiddish!

BTW Dave, I had to hold off on the Tribute due to truck repairs.[:@]
Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

You're right them suckers are skiddish!

BTW Dave, I had to hold off on the Tribute due to truck repairs.[:@]
They are skiddish, but they teach you to be a better hunter. Their age defies them.

Sorry about the truck repairs, but don't worry- you can be one of the first next year to be slinging the new 2007 Allegiance when it goes beyond parallel like the Tribute is. (just ahunch I'm feeling)
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM

DaveC, I didn't get your PM.
I'll have to pick up a Thermacell this afternoon. Heading to Gander to see what I can spend some $$$ on.....

-D
Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ddeblance, Gander mnt has a good variety of snake boots, although it is sounding like they are not needed now.

Have you checked your inbox ?(click the icon at the top of the page). I didn't save the PM, but it should be there. If your pop-up blocker is on you won't get the PM notification, but your box will store your new PM's until you check them. There is a link on the PM that I have saved at work (no longer at work).
Have fun at Gander, don't spend too much !
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 PM

DaveC, yea, I got your PM. Thanks for the info. I just bought fully body leafy camo, so I'm going to try that first. Might be picking a temp. blind soon after that.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Watch those leafy wears- they are for the most part very noisy. I've owned 3 complete sets and only one is quiet enough to consider hunting with it. And it took many a trip through the washer and dryer to get it that way.
I was walking through bass pro the other day and gave each set I saw on the rack the- "rub it together" test and none of them passed.

Before you hunt with it, put it on and get in the quietest room in the house (closet) with no back ground noise- once there do a few simulated draws to see if you can hear ANY noise. If you can hear some leaves rubbing together it's time to start trimming.
You might want to bring your bow in there with you while you're at it. I had aSabinal 10 point get the best of me a few years ago when a
teeny-tiny noise was being made on the draw I never heard in the backyard or shooting range. It wasn't until I was staring at a sweet wal hanger that I & he heard the noise for the first time. creeeek ( axle needed lubed)

Back to the leafy wear- I've been there more than once with the set I consider quiet enough to hunt. In the early morning quiet the deer don't like the way that stuff sounds when brushed up along anything- tree, stand, brush. I guess it is just not a natural sound. Once the wind or breeze picks up you are OK, it's just dawn & dusk ( you know, deer -30) that are iffy.

With all that said I've seen where they are coming out with new "quieter" stuff, so maybe they figured out how to make the suits quietly.

BTW, I killed 2 last year & one the year before off the ground with no ground blind & no leafy wear. Just gotta be still (a small stool chair really helps too) and put a lot of brush directly behind you.

Good luck this season!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:59 AM

Well, this suit sounds quiet, but I'll have to run it through the tests....

And I'm fighting with a noisy cam as we speak. I lube it and it works fine. Next time I pull it out it's noisy again. Lube it and it's fine.... etc. etc.
What should I expect with a 12 year old bow...

I'm going to have to work on getting the bow silenced. I shoot next to some of the new bows and it's a wacker!! Any suggestions??

I want to kill one form the ground so I'm going to try my darndest. Do you use calls or scents of any sort?

Quick Reply: Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.