Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas >

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Old 08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hill Country / Rock Springs, Texas

Buy a new bow?! Just messing w/ ya.... That bow will kill deer just as dead as anything on the market today...

The sims stuff has a large following... it's not cheap, but it's not the most expensive stuff on the market either. Does a pretty good job from what I've seen.

If you're going to be on the ground out there, try setting up inside the little small live-oak thickets. You should have room to draw and plenty of cover to break up your outline. I'm going to be on the ground since There arent too many trees out there that'll holdmy heavy butt. I may try some camo burlap and cut some cedar limbs to place around me too. A great way to set up I've heard is to have a big cedar behind you and a small one in front of you.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Buy a new bow?? I can't do that.... I shoot with somw guys that I talked into getting bows the beginning of this year. With a new bow I get show off as much when I'm out shooting them..... lol.....

Yea, I hear that you should be a few feet out from some of the natural brush. And to have some in front and that should break up most of your outline. I've heard not to sit inside the tree, because it looks un-natural.

What about scent control.... What do you use?? Calls?? Any??

Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Main thing is to stay in the shade with something dark behind you... the more cover you have the better. If you can put the sun behind you it helps too, but be mindful of the wind.

For scent stuff I've always used Hunters Specialties Scent Killer or whatever it's called..... I don't pay much attention to it. Regardless, I always hunt the wind.

I usually use a grunt to stop the deer for the shotif they're in hurry, but havn't really experimented with calling and rattling. Unless you're using the right vocalizations / rattling during the right phase of the rut, you can really do more harm than good.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ddeblance, when you say you are lubing the cam are you just placing some light oil drops on it (does it have the exposed hole?)

Either way that is only a temporary fix. You need to have the axles removed; clean the axle, limb holes, hole inside the cam and then lube the axle with a white lithium grease (or something else with substance) at least that's what I watched a pro shop do to my squeaky bow.
Since then I've done this myself a time or two and it has worked to keep the shaft & axel lubed. BTW a pro shop should do this for cheap- back then I paid under $10.00

I'd just hate to see you loose a shot at a huge buck like I did[:'(]. I was trying to draw slowly (stand too exposed) and every time I'd get it a 3rd of the way back he'd jerk his head and stare my way, lookingfor the cause of the noise. Fourth time he had enough and left.

Scents? like I said before this is my 1st year on this lease, but one of the lease members & friend has hunted the area a lot (just sold ranch up the road) and he said as a cover scent to break some cedar and rub it around on ya before you head out. Then break a branch or two when you get on stand I know it is very pungent from clearing shooting lanes last week. He says he has had deer all around him from doing this.

Calls, a can call and a grunt tube never hurt. If I get boardI hit each about every 30-45 minutes. I can't say it has ever done much for me though. Gives me something to do I guess[8D].

Scents- I'm a sucker for tinks -69. But I try to hold off any tricks or gimmicks until the rut is near.