Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody Bowhunt Muleys? >

Anybody Bowhunt Muleys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody Bowhunt Muleys?

Old 08-17-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Anybody Bowhunt Muleys?

Any helpful tips for bowhunting Muleys? Thanks fellas...
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody Bowhunt Muleys?

Are we talking early or late season??? Lowland or high country???? It all depends.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Sorry I didn't give specifics!

Hunting in the Texas Panhandle, so low land I suppose. I haven't seen the land yet- my grandfather just bought it to run cattle on and he said when he went to check it out he saw a HUGE Muley. He quit hunting years ago, so I have sole access! SCHWING! It's like winning the lottery!

He said there are rolling hills, deep rocky canyons, and a river runs through the middle of it. (Sounds great for Muleys). He said there is one part of the ranch that you can only get to on horseback.

I've never hunted Muleys, and actually don't know anything about behavior/patterning, so any tips would help me tremendously.

A few specific questions:
Are Muleys strictly spot and stalk? (this method is all I've seen on tv)
What about spotting from horseback. Would this help?
Is it even worth it to bowhunt them? I have never seen a Muley bowhunt, but I assume it's possible. Since I have no clue what I'm doing, I may be wasting my time. ...But at least it'll be spent hunting and learning!!!

Thanks for your help
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Nix

i love going after monster muleys in alberta with a bow. Ive learned its very helpful to have a windy day so you can spot them keeping their heads above the high grass as they bed. They dont stay below the grass because the sound of the grass wistling in the wind makes them uncomfortable and they dont feel safe. When their heads are higher you can spot them from a distance and play the wind while you stock. Its hard as heck but fun. Muleys almost always wait for 2 of their 3 senses to alert them to danger before running....Its funny because even if they wind you they want to see or smell you too before they run. If they smell you they want to see or hear you too before bolting. I guess that rule doesnt count when they see you drawing your bow....good luck