Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whitetail hunting by the moon >

whitetail hunting by the moon

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whitetail hunting by the moon

Old 08-13-2006, 08:15 PM

Default whitetail hunting by the moon

Hi everyone, I was just curious as to how many of you out there take the time to recordstuff like what position the moon is in, what the temp was, cloudy or sunny, etc. and use this information in conjunction with scouting or trail cam pics? I havebeen using a trail cam for about a month now and I've been taking down this information to try to get an idea on deer movement. It's too soon for me to see anything yet, but hopefully in a while I can get a good pattern.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Default RE: whitetail hunting by the moon

i was at a local hunting show today and david blanton of realtree outdoors was the guest speaker. he said he doesn't really think about the moon. he figures during the rut a buck will roam during the night and then bed doen right at first light. he said the buck then gets antsy to go out around 11-2. so overall he said he doesn't hunt by the moon.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:58 PM

No, but I probably should.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt whenever the job and family will permit.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

during the rust I rarely leave my stand during daylight if at all possible.. Makes for some long days but when it works out.. Boy is it nice..
OH, I don't hunt the moon or phases or anything else.. Not to say you won't find a pattern but patterns seem to go down the tube come November. (in most places)
Old 08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wait to Antler Eater replies... I think he keeps a log of all that stuff on his hunts, but I could be mistaken.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

The moon does tend to stretch or constrict the rut. When a full one comes right before the usual rut window, it can actually kick the rut in harder at the beginning. When it falls right after the usual window it can actually dull the rut out but stretch it out for a longer period of time. The full moon right at the beginning of the rut will make for a stronger rut. I've read that, but after checking it out here, it seems like it's true. I also think anywhere outside the rut, the FM makes midday hunting better, and the new moon seems to make the morning/evening hunting alot better.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, there never is a bad time to be in the woods, but with that being said, there are times that are better than others. Where i hunt, i have noticed that during the full moon, the deer move alot more during the night which means that the morning hunts are not that productive. I still go out and hunt in the mornings cause you never know, i still see deer, but just not the normal amount. Nights are still productive for me on the full moon. Last season was the first one that i ever kept track of the moon, but cause of all sorts of obligations, i could not pull any all day hunts, so i had very little time in the stand during the middle of the day during the full moon, but one day while i was out helping a buddy track a deer he shot that morning i did see a few does and a great 8 point on their feet in the middle of the day on a full moon. It was also in the middle of november so that may have helped get them up as well. Either way, you cant shoot them on your couch, so get out whenever you can, you never know.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:33 AM

I hunt as much as possible. However I pay pretty close attention to the moon phase. I started about a year ago and I really try and decide where to hunt based on the moon. we have 4 or 5 spots through out TN and KY and depending on where the biggest sighting has been is where i will be two days before that full moon if possible. I have had great success with Phase hunt
Old 08-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my limited experience I see less deer while hunting on days where the moon is more full. I think they move more at night.

Tom

Quick Reply: whitetail hunting by the moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.