Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice with broadheads or field points? >

Practice with broadheads or field points?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice with broadheads or field points?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Practice with broadheads or field points?

Im sure this topic has come up a million times on this forum and i apologize for bringing it up again. This will be my first year trying bowhunting, and I have been practicing quite a bit with my new PSE Bruin. I have been practicing with 100 grain field points and im pretty confident out to 30 yards.

A friend of mine gave me a pack of 100 gran G5 montecs to try for this upcoming season. So, I put one on today and tried shooting it to see how it shot. First thing I noticed was it kinda made a zipping sound through the air, is that normal? Also, It seemed I was shooting low and left, or atleast not as accurate as i normally do.

So do i adjust my sights right before hunting season to accomodate the broadheads? Or do i try new broadheads that pattern the same as my FP? Should i br practicing exclusively with broadheads?

Im sure there is no easy answer, just curious what you guys do, or what you would reccomend for a beginner bowhunter. Thank you -
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 AM

Default RE: Practice with broadheads or field points?

B-heads barely ever fly the same as your field points unless your bow is very well tuned. If you bought your bow from a actual shop, I would go there and have them help you paper tune your bow. If you didn't you still can perhaps call and see if you can stop by and get some help. That should at least make your b-heads fly consistant. If all else fails just make sure your b-heads are flying true and then adjust your sights to them and you'll be good.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once August hits I am strictly broadheads.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

make sure the bow is fine tuned before adjusting the sights for the broadheads
Old 08-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Adjust your rest to get them to shoot the same point of impact. Go to eastons website and follow thier tuning guide. Sometimes it can take a bit of tinkering to get them the same, but most times its fairly straightforward when you follow the guide.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would practice with broadheads only, if you don't hunt with field points why shoot them? Adjust your sight for your broadheadsand you'll be good to go.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think there's nothing wrong with practicing with field tips.. They can be easier to shoot with and be used on more targets and in all the indoor ranges. BUT, you do need to shoot and practice with broadheads also. Now my broadheads fly the same but the others are correct in that not all of them do. Use a quality broadhead that fits you such as magnus stinger, montecs or muzzy's..
WHEN all is said and done though you need to be sighted in using broadheads if your going to hunt with them.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 AM

I shoot fieldpoints to get the kinks out after the winter......after that it is pretty much broadheads only for about 2 months before the season. I really see no point in shooting fieldtips at paper unless it is for exercise or just to have fun shooting your bow. For hunting practice it has little if any value and IMO does more harm then good.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: everything was taken

A friend of mine gave me a pack of 100 gran G5 montecs to try for this upcoming season. So, I put one on today and tried shooting it to see how it shot. First thing I noticed was it kinda made a zipping sound through the air, is that normal? Also, It seemed I was shooting low and left, or atleast not as accurate as i normally do.
EXACTLY why I think shooting fieldtips does more harm then good in many cases. People get lured into a false sense of security when they are shooting fieldtips at paper all summer in a t-shirt and shorts standing on the ground at 20 yards. They think they are dead nuts and are ready to hit the woods. Now they put on some broadheads and UH-OH!!!........it's back to square one. Fortunately for you there is plenty of time to fix the problem. Imagine the nightmare you would be in if you had waited until a day or two before the season to strap on some broadheads.

How close are your BH's hitting to where your fieldtips were?? You say low and left but how much??.......an inch or two.......or a foot??

Most important thing I look for when adjusting anything on my bow is perfect arrow flight........I want to see no wobble, no fishtail, no porpoising(sp?), no cork screwing...........nothing but a flat laser beam flight. To coin an old phrase.......I want my shots flying "straight as an arrow"

If your broadhead shots are flying "straight" with no signs of wobble and are hitting just an inch or two away from your tips then I would just bump the sight and be done with it.........a "straight" arrow flight will offer you the best penetration on whatever you hit. If they are off a substantial distance or have any of the poor flight characteristics I mentioned then you need an adjustment to your rest most likely. Download the Easton tuning guide and read it and know it and use it to make sure your setup is tuned well. If you don't feel confident messing with it then take it to the shop and let someone else help you.

One more thing.............unless you are shooting the practice Montecs you are going to need to resharpen those heads that you are shooting into your targets. They will not be sharp enough to hunt with after repeated shots into a target.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:30 AM

when you put your broadheads on make sure that the tips are perfectly lined up with your fletchings. your arrows should fly better if properly alligned.

Quick Reply: Practice with broadheads or field points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.