Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice with broadheads or field points? >

Practice with broadheads or field points?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice with broadheads or field points?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Practice with broadheads or field points?

G5's! Good head!

Other guys have said what needs to be.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM

Lining your fletchings up with your blades is an old wives tale and means nothing. You can do it if you want them to look pretty, but it won't make them fly any better. If it does chances are your inserts were not square and rotating them fixed that. Besides, good luck doing that with a modern arrow where the insert is epoxied into the shaft.

I tune my bow to shoot broad heads in the same general area as my field points, or least the best I can get it. Sometimes you can get them very close, sometimes things don't go as well. It is very dependant on your arrows. You need closely matched arrows with a spine that matches your set up. If not you will have trouble getting them to group with your field field tips. If you know your bow was tuned well and grouping well with target tipped arrows and you have to make large adjustments to your nocking point or rest chances are your spine is off and you are compensating for it.

Do not have your bow paper tuned and assume it is tuned. Paper tuning is the first step in tuning, not the end. Chances are you will need to tweak it when you shoot with broad heads if you want them to group together. Sometimes you don't though. Again, depends your arrows and your form.

I personally don't try overly hard to get them to group together. I shoot 99 percent of the time in my back yard shooting at targets for groups. And once or twice a year at a deer. I don't feel like de-tuning my bow to make it group fixed blades. Which is what most do when they do this.

I don't shoot fixed blades that often either. Maybe once or twice a season when it gets close to the opener. I tune my heads and arrows, then tune my bow to where they shoot where I am happy. Then I replace the blades and set my hunting arrows aside and don't touch them again. I want perfect arrows in my quiver, not arrows I have nocking around for two months. If I know my fixed blade heads hit where I aim them why would I need to practice with them? The field points work just as well for practicing my release and form. And they are not as dangerous, expensive or hard on the target. I have hit enough arrows with broad heads that it isn't worth the expense of new arrows, heads and fletchings to play with them when I know I don't need to. Almost every time I tune for broad heads I end up taking a fletching off, splitting an arrow in half and or ruining a head. I certainly don't want to do that on a daily bases.

For me shooting the deer is not the hard part, that is pretty easy because of the distance and size of the target. It's getting them close that I have trouble with.

Now if you only shoot once or twice a month for a half hour or so and can shoot fixed blades where you shoot then it probably isn't a big deal and not a bad idea. However if you shoot every day for hours at a time I wouldn't suggest shooting a fixed blade all the time. More power to you if you want to, but I'm not going to do it. Not when the modern equipment is so good and closely matched.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

If I know my fixed blade heads hit where I aim them why would I need to practice with them?

Paul
I just take a "better safe......then sorry" approach I guess. I could NEVER go into the woods with an arrow that all I knew of it was it hit where I was aiming 2 months ago. In 2 months I will put thousands of shots through my bow, pick it up and set it down on the ground hundreds of times, probably drop my case at least once......hopefully not drop the bow but can't say I never did that either .......I'm sure it will get stepped on by me or one of my shooting buddies at least once...........and even if none of that happens I know I will have a day or two when I just don't shoot that great and wonder to myself if something needs a tweak.........even though I know it doesn't.

I just could never trust an arrow if the last time I shot it was 2 months ago.

I even keep some dull heads handy all through the year so I can shoot a few arrows after a hunt or at lunch or whenever I feel like it. I just like the feeling of KNOWING I am dead on.........I don't like the thought of hoping nothing has changed in the last 2 months when I get ready to shoot in the woods.

My Stingers are shot and shot and shot right up to the night before season starts...........that night I unpack my fresh blades and I am ready to rock at sunrise...........100% confident that I will hit where I aim because I have been shooting the exact arrows I have in my quiver as soon as 10 hours earlier.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

CHECK THE ALINEMENT OF THE BLADES TO YOUR FEATHERS THAT WILL STOP OR REDUCE THE ZIPPING. FOR FIX BLADE HEADS JUST ADJUST SIGHTS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH SIGHTS THEN GO TO OPEN ON IMPACT HEADS LIKE THE HAMMER HEAD.
GOOD HUNTING.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:32 PM

I do check everything before I hunt. I just don't have extended practice sessions with my fixed blades. And if something did change on my bow I would know regardless of if I was shooting fixed blades or field tips.

In my opinion arrows are the number one factor in where your broad head tipped arrows shoot. I just don't want to beat up or wear down my arrows I will hunt with before I hunt.

My system hasn't failed me yet, so I am not inclined to change it. Sometimes I shoot bareshafts just for the heck of it though. If something was off it would for sure show up then.

And I treat my equipment well enough I am not concerned about those issues. If one of my buddies stepped on my bow he wouldn't be my buddy for long. But mostly my bow wouldn't be in a position where it could be stepped on by someone else. I simply can't afford to replace it.

I understand what you are saying though and I shoot a fixed blade from time to time. I have junk ones as well, but I don't do it all the time like some others do. I have never tuned my bow, then grabbed an arrow with a broad head and had it not work. They hit right were they did before, unless the arrow is no good. Which is why my hunting arrows do not get touched again until a few days before I hunt with them. How can I not trust them if they are still brand new and proven to be good? I shoot aluminums so they are not going to go bad just sitting there

I dissagree with the above post in every way shape and form.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

My system hasn't failed me yet, so I am not inclined to change it. Sometimes I shoot bareshafts just for the heck of it though. If something was off it would for sure show up then.

Same here..........whatever makes you comfortable and keeps your confidence up I guess..........plenty of ways to skin a cat.

And I treat my equipment well enough I am not concerned about those issues. If one of my buddies stepped on my bow he wouldn't be my buddy for long. But mostly my bow wouldn't be in a position where it could be stepped on by someone else. I simply can't afford to replace it.
I do too.............but stuff happens. I don't like treating my gear like precious china simply because I know it doesn't get treated that way going through the woods and up and down trees all year. I am pretty careful for the most part though.

I understand what you are saying though and I shoot a fixed blade from time to time.
Yea..........I even shoot different ones all the time to see if my setup is tuned really well..........or just to my Stingers. I have Muzzy, SteelForce, Crimson Crocs and even some old WASP mechanicals laying around........fun to play around with.

I dissagree with the above post in every way shape and form.

Paul
Me too.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

To say it again, LINING UP THE FLETCH WITH THE BLADES MEANS NOTHING.

To me shooting BH excessively just burns thru targets. I like to get my heads shooting with FP's early in the summer and then put the heads(and the arrows they are on)away. Once in a while shoot em to make sure things are fine. Then once the season is real near, shoot them a final time or2, put in new blades and I am ready to go.

Atlas you brought up a great point about the shooting in t-shirt thing. EVERYONE should shoot several times in the same clothes you will hunt in. This means down to the gloves, mask, and heavy clothes. Yea it's hot shooting in a heavy jacket in august, but it beats missing a big buck on a cold november morning. Also for you treestand hunters, shoot from elevation.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

One more thing.............unless you are shooting the practice Montecs you are going to need to resharpen those heads that you are shooting into your targets. They will not be sharp enough to hunt with after repeated shots into a target.
This is VERY good advice.....and the most important point I take from this thread.

I use the G5's, too.....and I shoot their practice heads. That way...you never have to worry about theedge on your hunting setup.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 AM

i usually start shooting again around the end of july, or early august. i always shoot field points probably up until aboutmid september so i don't destroy my target, then i'll switch to the muzzy practice blades, but they tear up the target a lot too. i usually only shoot my actual broadheads a few times just to be sure it's on with them, but i'll give muzzy a lot of credit, the practice blades and broadheads shoot very very close. for that matter, i've rarely had to adjust at all from field tips, to practice blades, to broadheads.

and i do try to line up the practice heads and broadheads with the vanes. haven't noticed any big difference, but i don't think it would hurt anything.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 AM

I see no problem at all practicing with field points if they hit the same place as your broadheads. You are minimizing wear and tear on your target.

I test my broadheads about once every week or so to make sure everything is still lined up properly but most of my shooting is done with fieldpoints.

As i get closer to the season I start adding more and more clothing to my practice session to the point that for the last 2 weeks or so i am shooting with headnet, gloves, jacket (thank goodness my basement is cool), binos and a tube call around my neck

Quick Reply: Practice with broadheads or field points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.