Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lost Another Stand... >

Lost Another Stand...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost Another Stand...

Old 08-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost Another Stand...

Man sorry to hear that, thats a real bummer.

Ive had several stands stolen over the years. I wish one time we would hear a story where someone actually caught a theif/thieves in the act of stealing and got some payback for all of us.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I had a fixed hangon stand stolen in Phila, that was 18 feet up a tree without the steps. I went home for lunch & returned 1 hour later the stand was gone,
Old 08-12-2006, 05:59 PM

part two:

I've never had one stolen, nor would I steal one myself, but I have found someone elses stand on our private property a few times in the past.
(one SOB had it on one of the trees with the "posted" sign AND you could see they were using spikes to climb it) Those will be taken down and left tied to the tree with rope and a sign saying "next time I find your stand on my property, it's mine". (the one on the posted tree, I found the sign torn down and the stand put back up. That tree got wrapped over 4'with barbed wire about 8' from the gound, the standwas takenand a note left saying "now if you want it back you canask the Chief for it at the boro building")
Old 08-12-2006, 06:29 PM

sorry yo hear that dude. alot of stands get take here in my area as well!!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:39 PM

i have in the past lost many stands ., and they were on privite land that buts upagainst public land.,i learned my lessen., stands go in with me and out with me now ., and i had them paddlelocked also .,
Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 PM

oh p.s. i even had one stolen the day before bear hunting ., ahhhhhhhh[:@]., i feel for ya., i know what your going thru ., and this is a sore subject for me ., i have not ., nor would i ever take anybodys stuff.,
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

And to think, this is fellow hunters taking stands. That alone boils my blood. I've been fortunate enough not to have a stand stolen. Each time I go to my stands and see them still there I still feel relieved. I hunt private ground and have exclusiveness to the area however, it wouldn't be the first time I had to "ask" someone to leave the property. I think it's a matter of time and I'll wear out some tires looking for the theif.

I can't tell you how many stands I've stumbled across while hunting other mutual properties and it's never crossed my mind to steal the stand. What a low life.
With the exception of not having a stand stolen, I agree with everything Rob wrote. I unfortunately experienced this sickening feeling last November...

My last trip to Bass Pro, I found that they sell rubber-coated Masterlocks all keyed alike in three packs fairly cheaply, as well as the steel cables which go along with them. At least it would force someone to really put a lot of work into it, and probably come back a second time carrying bolt cutters to getthe stand.

I feel, like Rob, it's probably other hunters (most assuredly it is) that are just moving through the area and take the opportunity that's presented on their initial pass-through. I was really ticked last time because I had some of those really expensive Cranford steps which can be removed and leave the lag bolt in the tree. No one got any of those, but it meant someone had to have had a climber with them to go up and get my hang-on stand, which absolutely verifies that it was another hunter!!!! Scumbag.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 PM

I hada stand stolen from me and it was locked to a tree with the first few foot steps removed. people are scum.and I felt raped. But What I don't understand is I went to a climber after that so I could take it with me. Why did you leaveyours in the woods after thefirst time?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hvyhitter19

Well we went out today to do some fine tuning and make sure everything was cool for the uncoming season and apparently someone thought my API climber would be better off with them
2 questions.

1) Why did you buy a climber to leave in the woods?
2) How did you get down?

Sorry to hear about your stands.Theft is getting morecommon around here, anymore I buy the cheapest loc on stands I can get, and spend extra on the locks. One thing I use, and its not fool proof, is conduit hangers. I use a 2 hole conduit hanger, put 2 three inch lag bolts through the bracket holes and secure it around the seat tubing to the tree. Its not perfect, but most theives don't carry a socket set with them. Plus, it makes the stand very secure to the tree.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

That happened to a guy up in my area. So he wrote a letter to the paper telling the person who took his stand that he forgot one thing. That there was also a deer cam in the same area and he got all kinds of picts of the person taking the stand. He also said that if the guy returned the stand to a certain area he would not press charges. He gave him a certain amount of time to return the stand. If he didnt he would turn the picts into the police and have the guy arrested for theft. Well the guy returned the stand to the place and within the right amount of time. Best part was...............there was no cam. I talked to the guy and he said, what could it hurt to try? So he got his stand back by bluffing...........something you might want to try.......

Quick Reply: Lost Another Stand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.