Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First year bowhunting unsure about climbing... >

First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

Old 08-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

This will be my first year bowhunting. Last spring, I bought my bow (Pearson Pride). I just picked up my hanging tree stand, but I haven't decided what method I'm going to use to climb up to my stand and thought I'd ask for your help.

I've seen they sell structures that you can attach to a tree and climb up, but these things seem like they would be bulky and be a pain to bring in and out of the woods. What I was thinking about doing was just buying an 8' 2x4 and cut it into 6-10" pieces. Then drill two holes in each piece so that I could take a binder and go through one hole, out the other, wrap around the tree and bind down. Do you think this would work? Is there a better way to do this without buying those bulky climbing structures?

Thanks,

Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

If youre looking for least bulky, look for screw in steps. Basically a slim metal rod that formed as a step that has treads on one side. They work well. Or you can buy large galv. nails and nail them in, but steps are better imo.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:13 AM

After useing wood for steps, I would not recomend it! Buy climbing sticks, or screwin steps, or a combo. They will get you to your stand safley and quietly. Make sure you use the harness, and I also use a retractor to stop your fall. I fell when wood steps broke under me and will never use them again.
Good luck!
Old 08-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tips. I guess I should have mentioned that I'll be hunting on private land and the owner (big lumber company) requested no screws in the trees. So, the screw in steps aren't an option.

Cheers,
Old 08-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

i would suggest getting some climbing sticks they are not that heavy and go up quick you can find good ones for $30 now and $20 or less after the season
Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 PM

Here is what I use. Strap on the tree.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sticks! Becarefull with them. They work great and aren't too bad to pack but we had one while we were putting it up get hung up on a brach and seperate, crashing to the ground next to us Could of killedone of us.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:58 PM

i use screw in steps because they are cheaper than sticks and are allowed where i hunt. make sure you check with your land owner. if the trees are harvested than they may not let you use screw ins
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 PM

I've hunted with lock on stands with screw in steps and I find they are hard to set up. Make sure you use a harness when you are setting up your stand if you go this way. I really like to use a climbing stand. I think they are safer becasue you aren't holding on to a step or ladder while you're trying to lock your stand in place. All you do is stand up, lift your seat sit down lift you feet until you're up. Lock it in place and you done. Lock ons are nice if you hunt the same spot for a long time. Either one works fine as long as you wear a harness.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use sticks and will continue to do so. Use caution and wear a harness with whatever method you choose.

Quick Reply: First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.