Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First year bowhunting unsure about climbing... >

First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

Old 08-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Default RE: First year bowhunting unsure about climbing...

I use the strap on steps when I can. They offer a few benefits where I hunt. First off, they pack small so it's easy to carry a bunch. Second, you can place them staggered so that it's easier than climbing up in a straight line, especially on trees where you need to move around the tree to avoid limbs (which I like to leave for cover when possible). You can also separate them farther from each other if you're taller, or shorter if you're not, so that it's comfortable to climb and you get the most height for your money. Third, when I hunt public land I feel better about leaving a hang-on stand up and just removing the bottom 3 strap steps when I leave so as to help keep people honest. I also only use my GPS to get to stands so I don't leave a trail of fire tacks or reflective tape to lead others to my stand site. There are a couple disadvantages to them, which you'll find with any of the strap on climbing sticks as well. If you leave them hanging for an extended amount of time and climb them often, you'll find that you need to retighten them from time to time...not too big of a deal. The other more significant problem is that the strap is of a limited length. This will restrict what trees you use it on. I don't have screw-in restrictions, so while I use the strap-ons when possible, if the tree is too big around at the base to put that type of step on, I'll put screw-ins on until it narrows enough for the strap-ons.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM

You should use a linmans belt when useing strap on steps, or screw in steps. They are cheap and it is not worth hurting your self WHEN not if you fall. The stats do not lie about falling. Hunt safe/ have fun/ enjoy GOD's great outdoors
Old 08-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Strap on steps for me also.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Awi

For a permenant lock on,I would reccomend tying a rope from top to bottom and us a prussic knot to slide as you go up and down you are never in danger you are always attaced to the tree,with full body harness.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a good Idea AWI!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 AM

I agree with chr. My first year I bought a nice hang on stand butI wasn't too crazy about trying to hold onto the top rung of my climbing sticks with one hand while trying too hoist my stand into place with the other. I switched to a climbing stand, only because I feel safer in one and they are so much easier.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 AM

I would go with a climber. I feel real safe in the one I have.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM

If you use climbing sticks,you need a straight tree!They come in 4 ft lengths and hook into each other.You would be surprised how many trees you think are straight until you try the tree sticks.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climbing stands work great if you have trees that are straight and have no branches. The trees in my area have branches so a climbing stand is out of the question.