Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new to bowhunting - peep questions.... >

new to bowhunting - peep questions....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new to bowhunting - peep questions....

Old 08-10-2006, 07:57 AM

Default new to bowhunting - peep questions....

Hey folks,

I plan on purchasing a new, 1st bow this fall/spring finally, take the next year to practice and become confident in my shot....I was just curious - since I have no prior experience, habits, etc. would a peep be the best to learn how to use, or would one of the other products, such as the no peep, or peep eliminator, etc. be better for someone to start with from scratch, when bowhunting is the primary goal? yes I'll be practicing a lot on targets and such, but my concern is about low-light situations, in that last 30 minutes of light where everything seems to bleed together.

thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to bowhunting - peep questions....

I've used a peep for over 32 years of bowhunting and target or 3D shooting. I still think it's the best route to follow, especially for a beginner. The difference between target and hunting is the diameter of the hole in the peep. There are a couple out that wor pretty well in that they have a BIG hole. One is the Fletcher Magnum Hunter peep and the metal one made by G5. Both can be had with a 1/4" hole which is plenty in most circumstances for hunting. Specialty Archery makes their Superball peep which has screw-in apertures from about 1/32" up to 3/16 with no screw-in adaptor. The only one I haven't used is the G5, but that's in the works.

My 3D bow had the Specialty with a 1/8" adaptor and my hunting bow carries the Fletcher.

These, along with good fiber optic sights and if I can't see the pin then it's too late to be hunting. Simple as that.

So personally I'd recommend a peep for now. After you learn to shoot and see what other people are using you'll have a better idea of what suits you. For now, keep it simple and keep it inexpensive. No need to, at least for now,plunk down money for something like a No-Peep that you may not like anyway.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks BG,

really appreciate the insight and feedback from the resident experts sure helps to have a little knowledge in my pocket when I go to the proshop to talk a bit.... much appreciated.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The no-peep can be a real challenge formost experiencedto use out alone a new bowhunter .I'd start with the Fletcher Tru Peep first .
The no-peep is definately a good accessory ,but it take's alot of fidgeting to get it right .

nubo
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nubo

The no-peep can be a real challenge formost experiencedto use out alone a new bowhunter .I'd start with the Fletcher Tru Peep first .
The no-peep is definately a good accessory ,but it take's alot of fidgeting to get it right .

nubo
nubo,

Thanks for the support.

Exactly my point. Not that the No-Peep is not good. It may be, but is just too much to be fidgeting with when starting out. A newbie needs to be concentrating on getting such things as drawlength and weight correct first. Then learn to establish some kind of consistent anchor points, etc. Things like No-Peeps can be added later if necessary.

Over the years I've established such consistent anchor references that I cn often shoot a bow without kisser, peep or anything, relying solely on my anchor. In doing so shooting 3-4" groups out to 35 yards. I still use the peep for hunting, though. Lack of confidence I guess.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

get a large peep to allow more lite and site
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Large peep with a round pin guard. Center the pin guard, not the pin. This will let more light in under low light conditions.

Also, make sure your peep fits you. You shouldn't have to kink your neck to see through the peep. Close your eyes and draw to the most comfortable anchor point. When you open your eyes, the peep should be aligned perfectly. If not, adjust it. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally use the medium sized peep. It's latrge enough to let in light and not so large that it is ineffective. The diameter is such that I can see the outside of my pin housing and no more. Perfect. To address low light conditions, I use a light, which came with my sight. For sights that don't come with a light, you can either purchase the optional light made for that sight or you can get one of those lights, I can't remember the name, that's long and has adhesive backing on it. It usually sells for around $8.00

Also, when getting your peep adjusted, a good tech will help you figure out the best spot, by making you close you eyes. Since you're new, your anchor point may not come naturally. If that's the case, the bow tech should have you close your eyes, when you pull your bow back, to set the peep. When you open them tell the tech if the peep needs to move higher or lower. He should have you let down and rest a second and then do it again. He should do this several times just to make sure you're set and not moving your anchor pont; which will cause the peep to be directly out of your line of sight.