Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Digital Camera

Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default Digital Camera

I'm tired of relying on other people to take my deer pics for me, so I'm biting the bullet and buying my own. I was curious to see what peoples preferences/recommendations were. Something that would be good for shots from the stand at live deer as well as the ones that I've already put on the ground.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Digital Camera

look at the Sony DSC-H2. Its a little big but offers alot for an outdoorsman. If i had the money to upgrade my cameras i would, but ive got other gear i need before a new camera. You can find the cheapest price at pricegrabber.com

Old 08-09-2006, 02:03 PM

THere are TONS of good cameras out there right now at decent prices.

For picture quality, you can't beat any of the Canons, but they're on the pricey side typically and I still find even the newer ones to be a little slow.

The Kodak easyshare series however is probably one of the most popular digital cameras out there, have great picture quality and are among the most affordable. Check this out:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...amp;cpc=CAMbsc

I personally have a Sony Cybershot DSC-N1 that my wife bought me. It's very pricey but takes awesome pictures, is FAST and has a lot of actually useful features. My one big gripe is that you can't adjust the self timer, it's only 10 seconds and that's not a lot of time if you're trying to take pictures with yourself in the picture!

Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

Like was mentioned earlier, there are alot of affordable cameras out there now. Just have to decide how "fancy" of one you want. Do you know how to use/or need all the extras and manual controls that some of the pricey ones offer? My family owns 4 different Fuji cameras, and all take good pics. Only downside to Fuji is that they use the XD cards, which are a little more than the others. I don't consider it much of a downside, considering you will probably not buy but one, maybe two cards unless you lose one. In my opinion, more important is the battery the camera uses. I prefer one that uses AA batteries. Key is to buy a good set of rechargeable batteries/and a good charger, such as Powerex battteries and Maha chargers. I keep one set of batteries in camera, and one set in the charger, so they are ready all the time. If you don't use it alot, you may only need one set, as the better quality batteries last for a lot of shots. Check out Thomas Distributing on the net( I think that is the name) for those batteries/chargers. Sorry so long, just my two cents worth.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input! It was all very helpful, especially the battery info. That Sony DSC-H2 looked really sweet, but it's a little more than I want to spend right now. It looks like I may be going with the Canon PowerShot. I guess those Maria Sharapova ads really work.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

THere are TONS of good cameras out there right now at decent prices.
That definitely is the truth. I found that fact out when I was recently searching for one to compliment another hobby I enjoy. I ended up with the Casio Exilim EX Z1000. Superb little camera. Price at Circuit City is right at $340 and for what it offers it defintely is a steal. Check out the specs below......

EX-Z1000 FEATURES
Superior performance, amazing image quality, and functionality for beautiful photographs
[ul][*]10.1 million effective pixels.[*]A high dynamic range, 1/1.8 inch CCD, which delivers low-noise imaging.[*]The ability to zoom between 4.3x and 17.1x*1 with no reduction in image quality.[*]BEST SHOT function with high sensitivity shooting mode, up to a maximum of ISO 3200.[*]Anti Shake DSP, which is built into the EXILIM Engine image processor, reduces blurring due to unsteady hands or moving subjects.[*]Rapid Flash function enables up to three shots per second, enabling high speed flash photography.[*]Fast power-on function, so the first shot can be taken just 1.3 seconds*2 after switching on.[*]Shutter release lag time of only approximately 0.002 seconds,*3 allowing the shot to be captured practically instantaneously with the push of the shutter button.[*]High-speed picture playback of approximately 0.1 second interval.[*]Super Life Battery allows up to 360 shots*4 to be taken, measured by CIPA standards. [/ul]
Large, wide-format LCD display built for ease of viewing
[ul][*]Large, 2.8 inch, wide format LCD monitor lets users enjoy high-impact images of their shots.[*]High resolution, 230,400 pixel display presents clear, detailed images and data.[*]Wide and bright display (brightness:1200cd/m2 *5) makes viewing in bright outdoor light easier than ever before.[*]Display button can be used to change display formats with just one touch.[*]Display utilizes a vertical stripe pixel array, ensuring that the menus are clear and easy to read.[*]Right edge of the display shows operational icons, enabling easy operation and quick review of settings.[*]Multi-image function can display 12 images on a single screen. [/ul]
Photographic functions designed to take advantage of the camera’s high resolution
[ul][*]The revolutionary Zoom Continuous Shutter mode allows the user to compare a wide angle and a telephoto shot in the same display and to take both shots simultaneously with only one press of the shutter button.[*]Revive Shot refreshes the faded colours of old photos, bringing them back to life in digital format.[*]Quick Zoom feature enables instant switch to a preset zoom ratio with just one touch of a button.[*]37 different types of BEST SHOT sample images. Users can choose one of these samples to make sure their photos come out just right.[*]Movies can be taken in VGA size (640x480 pixels) at 25 frames per second (Motion JPEG). [/ul]
Other functions for intuitively easy operation
[ul][*]Quick Shutter function allows for fast focusing, reducing focusing error.[*]Auto Macro mode allows for automatic switching between auto focus mode and macro mode.[*]9-Point Multi AF function clearly shows areas of auto focus when photographing subjects with multiple focus points.[*]Direct On function allows users to press a single button to quickly start the camera in either shooting or playback mode.[*]Multi-function cradle can be used to recharge the battery, connect to a PC to download images, and connect to audiovisual equipment. The cradle also has as a photostand function, allowing users to view an image slideshow. [/ul]

Old 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

My small Sony has 7.2 megapixels.....and it's DISCONTINUED...lol.

I go through them for business....and I bought this one last year for $400 or so. It's worked flawlessly.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2006, 08:49 PM

wheres the pics
Old 08-13-2006, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canon anything would be my choice. Their Powershots are great cameras. I had a Sony before and won't ever get one again...their customer service pretty much sucked.

I've got two Canon's and haven't had to use their customer service.

Next upgrade will be another Canon.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Canon. Avoid a Nikon Coolpix. I returned 2 of them with only 20 pictures to show.