Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is the camo for us.....or them???? >

Is the camo for us.....or them????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the camo for us.....or them????

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Is the camo for us.....or them????

I see SO MANY camo questions/offers/etc.....it makes me wonder. Is the camo more for US to feel better about our concealment....or does it really work that well?? Aren't deer color blind?

I don't even wear the same camo patterns on my pants and shirts....for fear of ooking like a larger "blob". Is this practice unusual?

I've said it before.......If I could promise you more harvests (even BETTER harvests) if you wore pink coveralls........would you wear them (in lieu of camo)?

I think there's some AWESOME marketing going on. I know that a grey sweatshirt would blend against the ashen trees in our area in the Fall better than some of the camo patterns offered. But they sure LOOK GOOD!....lol

What do you guys think?

Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is the camo for us.....or them????

You are right. I think camo REALLY matters for turkeys, but for deer, not so much. You could wear a hawaiian print shirt that breaks up your outline. I buy camo that is on sale or when buying waterproof stuff, I want quality in the craftsmanship, don't really care what pattern is on it, although some patterns I think look "cooler" than others, but I think they all do the job well enough. There are some camos, (predator, nat gear, asat) that I think are better for breaking up outlines, but they seem harder to find in the types of clothes I want.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Camo really only matters when there's a chance that you might be seen , if you hunker down behind a bush with the wind in your face you aren't likely to get busted . Camo is pretty much just for us , generations before us didn't wear any and hunted successfully .
Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers
If I could promise you more harvests (even BETTER harvests) if you wore pink coveralls........would you wear them (in lieu of camo)?

There is nothing on this earth you could offer me that would get me to wear pink coveralls....[&:]
Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I disagree to some extent. Most camos on the market are marketing and appeal to the human eye, the big two are RT and MO. They do nothing for breaking up the outline of a human at distances but yes, they do blend in color wise for the human eye.

I'm interested in breaking up my outline as to not appear as a human in the upright position which is what I am in when drawing my bow and hunting deer from a treestand. I want to be able to move because I need to raise and draw my bow and being able to break up my outline. I've been busted wearing MO and RT while doing this but I have not been busted wearing the open patterns of Predator or ASAT and I'm looking forward to putting Enigma through it's paces, especially because of the exceptional quality of their product and material (Wolfskin)...I look forward to see if the pattern lets me get away with what the prior patterns have.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kevin1

C , generations before us didn't wear any and hunted successfully .
But wouldn't you agree that the whitetails have adapted and learned, generations ago, deer did not look up into trees for danger, today they do...times have changed and so has the instincts of the whitetail.

Elk haven't learned to look up into trees for danger yet...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I were just talking about this same subject over the weekend. In my younger days I had to have the latest and greates pattern. The older I get I really think it's for the hunter rather than the deer.

It's just like anything else IMO Camo is marketed to death onTV by the TV hunters anda lot of people think the camrighto, bow, rest, BH's will make them a better hunter and allow them to kill bigger deer.

It's almost laughable.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Rob I'ts funny you mention how deer have adapted to look up in trees for danger. A monthor so ago I read an article from Fred Asbell on this very subject and how in recent years he has also noticed this trend and hunting from the ground for him has become more effective. The article may have been in Traditional Bowhunter but i'm not sure.

I personally feel that camo is for both us and the animals we hunt, just certain ones are geared more towards the hunters eye (AKA selling more units) than others like ASAT, Predator and Enigma who gear their camo towards the animals we hunt and breaking up the hard outline of our bodies and not worrying about how appealing it is to the human eye. They feel the pattern will sell once the effectiveness is seen by the public. Unlike the other Patterns (Mossy Oak and Realtree) who rely more on so-called "curb appeal". Do I think the more visually appealing patterns work? Yes I do, but I personally think the more open ASAT, Predator, Enigma type patterns are more effective because they are not designed with a large focus on human visual appeal.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 AM

I can tell you this home brew of mine isn't for "looks"!!

I've had all I can stand of the main stream hunting industry, including the camo makers.... I'm not buying any more products from the big boys like RT and MO.... Sure, I still use some of their stuff b/c I can't afford to replace my entire hunting wardrobe.... But I'm doing what I can to resist their marketing BS....

Thus, my new camo line, Too Bored........

Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 AM

AllI know is I've put lots of meat in the freezer wearing a pair of old jeans and a blue jean jacket, with a puddle of snuff spit under my stand.

I think the more "realistic" a camo pattern looks to US the more likely we are to say, "Dang - that looks real! It's gotta work". The Big 2 have put lottsa money in the bank on this idea alone.

My best "big 2" for concealment.

1 - be still!
2 - be quiet!

Quick Reply: Is the camo for us.....or them????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.