Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor >

Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Summit Viper
65.22%
Summit Razor
34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

Old 08-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Summit Climbers: Viper vs. Razor

I own and love the Razor. At first it was a little awkward dealing with the bar, but soon got used to and loved the flexibility. I have played around with securing the bar at it's lowest position by changing the bolts. This gives me more room for bow hunting (which I needed for my recurve) and at the same time has no moving parts. If that is what you are looking for. Bottom line I like having the options and for the money I have found it worth while.

Tim

P.S.either one will do a great job
Old 08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand why they quit making the Cobra XLS in the first place. This is my stand of choice. It is exactly the same as the Viper except there is no bar in the front.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Viper. Love it. Never have a problem with front shots. Like said in other posts, just wet the platform high enough so the front bar is out of the way yet there for security if needed.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:26 AM

I can't see buying a Viper for any reason...........get the Goliath if that is the stand you want. Stronger, more room and not too heavy to pack into the woods.

I have hunted with a Goliath for a few years now and I love it. I am by no means pushing the 350 lb max and I am not swimming in extra space at all. I also gun hunt so when I have my thick orange coat on when the temps drop the extra room really pays off.

I have never had a problem with the front rail while bowhunting and in fact I use it constantly as I lay my bow on it's side right in front of me. It also makes a great gun rest.........I lower the seat all the way for gun and put my top section up high so when a deer comes I just squat down or take a knee on the bottom section and have a rock solid gun rest.

My brother bought a Summit 180 this year and it looks pretty sweet too.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Neither, Loggy Legend. PM me and I'll help you design it perfect for bow hunting.

I can say I just made it to my 7 th Bass Pro Shop today and the one thing I had to check out was stands since the crowd says summits are it. None of the even compare.

What is it about this stand that you like so much?........as opposed to the Summit line.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Viper for me...
Old 08-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Pa: I have the Razor and really like this stand. It is not weak in the least way. I never hunt with the bar in front of me. It only serves for climbing purposes for me. I put it under the seat as soon as I get up to my spot. You can unlatch the bar almost silently if you use both hands. I have went to sleep in this stand with no worries, harness of course.

I think its funny how the razor was 2nd highest last year and it is the highest one this year.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Summit Viper for me as well. I love mine and think it was the best purchase I have ever made in a tree stand. Quiet, lightweight, rugged, and even securely holds my fat a$$ up in a tree without worry!

Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 PM

i have the viper xls and like it a lot, but it is my 1st tree stand also. but i haven't seen any reason to switch to anything else. there was only 1 time that my bar got in the way of a shot, which was practically directly underneath my stand. i let him walk few more steps and took him anyway. i'm a little leary about that adjustable bar failing sometime. not summit's fault, but more likely something stupid that i would do, lol.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Viper X4 and althought it's a nice stand and I have no complaints with it what so ever....I wish I would have bought the Razor. Sure...there are things you can do so the frontbar isn't in the way, but I would just rather it to not be there. I am used to hunting out of a lock on where there are zero restrictions, so it's taken me some time to get used to a climber.