Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE! >

Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE!

I know some of you already know of this, but i'd thought id put it up anyway
This is the best tool ive found yet.

http://jdmcox.com/

Download the program there and you get get very high quality topo maps and satellite images for free.

Some tips:
With my printer i can add zoom to the map in the "print preferences" as well as make it print the entire area of the page, and center the image. I also have a "preview" option, this is great for saving paper.

We had a pack of high quality photo paper laying around nobody uses, so printed out some great maps that looks like they are professionally done!!

Quick Use, just click the goto, type in an address then press enter. Once the green waypoint is up. press "F" you can change the map type in the view tab...
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE!

Thanks dude!! Gonna check that out right now. Google earth don't work on my system........I hate dial up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second USAPhotomaps at www.jdmcox.com. Its the best free aerial/mapping tool I've found. It plays nice with my GPS too. I like to put gridlines on my map and the aerial photo too, both to the same scale. When I set my GPS to UTM coordinates, I can pretty much look at my GPS and then at the grid on my map/photo and know where on the map I am. If I'm scouting a new area, I'll check it out online first, click and add some waypoints for interesting looking spots, then download those waypoints to my GPS. I can walk straight to them without ever having been there before.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Guys all I get is a grey grid?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

press "f"
Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will get a grey grid until you click on file->download map data. when you do that, the grid fills in square by square with either map or aerial data, depending on what you have selected under view->map type (i.e. aerial or topo).
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for that link HuntingEd. I see lots of uses for that tool. Checked it out real quick. Now I have to play with it some more.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 AM

i been on there before and i forgot about it, i think someone recommended it before on here, but i will thrid that it is a great place, just wish that the topo zoomed in as far as the airials, that the that match up better.

good luck
Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

PSE, I have the ability to "zoom" when i print in the print preferences tab. The only thing is the elevation lines dont get and more detailed... but it atleast gives me a bigger scale of what i want to see so i can plan my attack better.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 AM

I have been using it for several years and it is great! I use my gps on my atv to map all of the roads and trails and also to mark stands, cameras, plots, etc and then download them to the map on my computer. It is probably my favorite piece of software.

Quick Reply: Great tool for Aerial Photos/Topo Maps - FREE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.