Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Another Stolen Stand >

Another Stolen Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Stolen Stand

Old 11-05-2002, 08:05 AM

Default Another Stolen Stand

I only had a few hours to hunt this morning and decided to slip into an area I have been holding off on hunting. There has been two nice bucks spotted, a nice basket 8 and a larger one which I have not seen myself...some say 10, some say 12...all say big.

I had scouted the area pretty well and set a stand about three weeks ago...went in this morning and it was gone....second one I have had stolen in three years.....

The area is posted and there is really only a couple ways to enter...the main way is through the parking lot of where I work.

The stand was set to overlook a nice draw/bottleneck with lots of sign...I did catch a glimpse of the tops of some antlers, but couldn't see down into the draw from the ground....Thankfully it was my old stand, I guess I will just have to go back with my Summit and take another crack at them....

With quite a few recent threads about poachers and stands being stolen...makes you wonder why some of these jokers even go into the woods. What kind of satisfaction can be had by stealing stands and poaching deer?!

Good luck to all of you true sportsmen/women....may your ruts be hot and your stand always there....
Old 11-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another Stolen Stand

To catch someone stealing my stand would almost be as good as shooting a nice buck.Except I would make a clean kill on the buck.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know exactly how you feel. I too have had 2 stands stolen from my hunting spots in the past. 1 was on my dads private land, noone has permission to hunt except our family. Another was in a public area I've hunted since a kid, and never had a problem. Kicker is both my stands were chained and locked. So they had to carry bolt cutters to take them. I went through the motions the first time, contacted law enforcement. Of course not much they could do, but did recommend marking stands in future with some sort of identification so they could be identified if found by a Officer. The 2nd time I'd even used those removable lag bolts steps, but I think they climbed the tree using the lag bolts that stick out about maybe 1". Since I've gone to a climbing stick for my portables, so far so good. But you never know. If they want them they'll find away. I heard of a guy that had a stand stolen once by someone cutting the top of the tree off, to lift it up off the trunk! I may have read that here, can't recall. I left notes in a plastic baggy with a few choice words to reward themselves for being the scum that they are. I hope they enjoy it as much as I have knowing they robbed a fellow hunter who'd never even think of using anothers stand much less steal one. LOWLIFE"S!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had stands stolen too. Now I use a cable and lock to secure them.

I'm not talking a little bicycle cable...I'm talking about the huge plastic coated cable you buy at Lowe's or Wal Mart (I got mine at Wal mart) It has loops on eack end for the lock to go though. I then bought the biggest baddest padlock Lowe's had...I've got about $40.00 bucks in my anti theft devices...Can they be cut?...Not with any bolt cutters I've seen...I'm sure they could be cut with a torch though....LOL...

Is my stand absolutly theft proof? Nope... But they'll have to work their azzes off to get my stands... They'd be better off to cut my tree down...LOL...

I pity any SOB I catch trying to steal my stands..."Really officer, I thought it was a deer up there"....LOL...
Old 11-05-2002, 09:01 AM

I feel your pain. Luckily ive only
had one stand stolen in the past
20 years. I lock all my stands
no matter where i hunt. I figure
with over $900 invested its good insurance.
A lock wont stop everyone but it wiil
prevent 90% of would be thieves from
messing with it.
A couple of years ago my Dad caught
someone stealing his stand. Caught
him on his remote trail camera. The fellow
didnt realize his picture was being taken.
My Dad posted the picture at the check station
with a note that said "return my stand or go to
Jail." The following friday someone
annonymously dropped the stand off at
the check station after hours.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't yet had a stand stolen but wouldn't be surprised when it does happen. I cable and padlock mine on the tree, but my grandpa told me when I was 10-12 years old someting that I believe in to this day. His quote: "A lock is only going to keep an honest man honest."

I think this says it all when talking about thieves, or poachers for that matter.

GForce

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 11-05-2002, 09:21 AM

Was this stand stolen on private or public land? I have my stand on private land, but I don't have it chained up. But everytime I go to it I always cross my fingers.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2002, 09:39 AM

Nothing like a thief to ruin the experience. I had a stand on a piece of property that I fixed up and elevated, then someone who felt that they still owned the stand trespassed to take a bolt cutter to the chains and leave with it. I was not as upset about the stand disappearing as I was with them trespassing to take it. Some people have no respect.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:31 AM

man that sucks, i know what your saying how can anybody get any satisfaction from cheating,

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."

Quick Reply: Another Stolen Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.