Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Aerial Photo Source >

Aerial Photo Source

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aerial Photo Source

Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default Aerial Photo Source

Does anyone know about a resource where you can get on-line and access aerial photography and print out shots of land?

I guy I ran into last year told me Gander Mountain had a service which is what he had used to get some great aerial shots of the land we were hunting . Saved us much time scouting as we were able to determine from landscape and those photos about where we wanted to set up.

I am headed back out W this year and would love to get aerials of the land I'll be hunting so that I can plan my set up.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Aerial Photo Source

Try mytopo or google maps. Mytopo is a pay site but they have great maps.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yahoo maps, free
Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

MyTopo is a great site for getting high-quality printed and customized maps. I just ordered a few topos from them and can't wait to get them in.

Link to MyTopo.

If you just want a general overview or something you can print out from your home computer try Google Earth or Yahoo! Maps.

earth.google.com
maps.yahoo.com/beta/

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Spike

That MyTopo site looks very nice, although I am trying to get a number of detailed maps, so gonna try the google and yahoo ones.

The maps I saw were blown up to notebook side showing one section (sq mile) of land. You could see dirt trails, creeks, all the structure, so that's what I am trying to find. The guy who had these said he subscribed for like $20 and could get all he wanted. So he got all he wanted then unsubscribed.

Thanks for the help here.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best free one out there is USA photo maps. You can zoom in very close and can also add topo lines to the aerial. Do a search for it. The web address is kind of weird.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

topozone, mytopo, terraserver, and my favorite:jdmcox.com are all good. If I were you I'd download USAPhotomaps from www.jdmcox.com, its an awesome tool that grabs topos and arials from the terraserver database. You can mark it with text, waypoints, gridlines, all kinds of neat stuff, plus it plays well with your GPS. You can even cruise around with a laptop and mark your position on a map in realtime if you wanted to. Unless they fixed the print option, the best way to use it to print out maps/arials is to use the option to save to "screen01.jpg" and print out that file.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Spike

Wow - these are some great resources! This is working out very nicely for my trip this Nov.

With no opportunity to pre-scout these sites are going to help immensly!

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I get all of mine off of http://terraserver.microsoft.comI'm not sure if its better or worse than those other ones, because it is the only one I've ever used. You just put in the address of where you want and it comes right up!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM

I have mostly used Google Earth to look around at this planet we live on. I've also used and ordered maps from Topozone. But recently I've found Live.local.com. Window beta version of Google Earth. It looks as if it uses Google when zoomed from 1 mile or farther. But go inside that and you get a high res black and white"TRUE AERIAL" photos. They may be a few years old but the areas I hunt it looks VERY good and gives forest service road numbers aslo. I'm just throwing this out there as another tool, I just happen to like it and it works for me. Give it a try and decide on your own.

-BAJAXPIMPN

Quick Reply: Aerial Photo Source

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.