Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need some field dressing tips!! >

Need some field dressing tips!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some field dressing tips!!

Old 11-04-2002, 07:22 PM

Default Need some field dressing tips!!

I field dressed my first deer last night and didnt do a good job at all. All you veterans out there who probably do it in 1/4 of the time and 100% better than i did i would like to have some of your tricks of the trade. What helps you move faster and smoother?

Forever Hunter
Old 11-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need some field dressing tips!!

This topic always brings out a myriad of good responses and lots of tips. Here's my method; modify it any way that works for you.

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html
Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 PM

ok here goes ill do my best to be thourough
Step one: get sharp knife
step two: get the insides of the animal to the out side
ok ok step two: ream around the anus (cut the skin all the way around it and use your knife to remove the connective tissue from the colon inside of the pelvic cavity
step 3: grab his private and skin them away from the body but do not cut the urethra instead remove the connective tissue from it all the way to the anal cavity you just reamed out and loosen as you did the colon
step 4: make small insicion where you just removed the scrotom make sure to go all the way through the stomach muscle to the intestinal cavity but try not to cut the intestines
step 5: insert your index and middle fingers into the insiscion and put you knife sharp edge up between these two fingers. while lifting the stomach muscle away from the intestines push your knife blade ahead toward the head. stop when you reach the rib cage.
step 6: reach in at the rib cage end of your cut pull the stomach back to expost the diaphram cut it loose from the body cavity it is attached all the way around it to the cavity walls
step 7: cutting the diaphram loose will give you access to the chest cavity with knife in one hand reach both arms up into chest cavity and feel for esophogus itll feel like flixible piping and is located as far as you can reach toward the head cut it in two. keep free hand on esophagus lay knife aside and reach back in and grap the esophogus.
step 8: now you got it with both hands if you pull it toward you youll be able remove heart lungs and intestine with one pull. and if you properly reamed out anal cavity its genitalia and anus will pull through the pelvic opening and come out with the rest. if not you ll have to finish the job. make surre you get it all out though as in that place dung is aful close to steaks.
Step 9: now you should be done. make sure every thing is out if not get it out. roll animal over on to stomach to drain remaining blood.
thats it as far as feild dressing but when i get it home i like to saw the ribs up the kneck ( if not mounting )and cut the rest of the esophagus out up to the jaw. and hose out the the body cavity.

also if your carefull and came prepared with a bottle you can harvest the urine in the bladder makes 100% deer pee for your deer attracting needs. Also the tufts of hair at the knee joints of the back legs can be skinned off the body and work great as deer scent they are really full of oder. and if you were lucky enough to take a doe in sterous the pee and glands yopu just harvested will be like gold. imagine doe in heat from a doe that every buck on the block knows. whoo hooo
Old 11-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best advice is to start with the animals butt uphill. Start with the first several steps including sawing through the pelvis bone. Once that is done and everything is mostly loose, cut the esophogas right under the chin and after you've cut the diaphram below the lungs you should be able to turn it's butt downhill and just pull everything out in one swift motion.

I did my deer and elk this year that way and they were the best gut jobs I've ever done.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

from this site:

http://www.whitetaildeer.com/howto/fd/

[*]NRA Annual Member www.nra.org[*]TNUSA Annual Member www.tnugent.com[*]NAHC[*]GOA[*]IDPA
Old 11-05-2002, 02:43 PM

All good suggestions thus far. It all starts, however, with a very sharp knife. It will definitely make your job much easier.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:19 PM

If a broadhead may still be in the deer, be careful. I don't remove the anus and bladder until it's hung and getting skined out. If the deer is getting dragged, the less I cut, the less chance of dirt entry. I cut from scrotum to beginning of sternum to gut out insides.