Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Field dressing

Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Field dressing

Hello everyone-

Does anyone know of a good site that demonstrates how to dress a hog (or a similar sized and type of animal)? I unfortunately missed this segment of learningas a child and am trying to play catch up.

Are there any simple instructionsor tipsthat anyone can offer that would be of help? Feel free to be detailed...
Old 07-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Field dressing

Welcome to the forum B Ott.

"Basic Hog Processing" Video
K & K Partnership presents. "Basic Hog Processing". Follow Keith & Kevin Mello as they show you the step by step procedures of "Basic Hog Processing". Though the hogs in this video are farm raised, the process is the same on wild boar.

The video starts with the kill and skinning and continues through quatering and cutting to the finished product in the freezer.

#VB0050
"Basic Hog Processing" Video
by Keith & Kevin Mello

Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM

Thank you very much!

What about in the field though when you're quite some distance from your vehicle and even further from home? What sort of dressing or care would be appropriate to preserve the meat?

Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BOtt

Thank you very much!

What about in the field though when you're quite some distance from your vehicle and even further from home? What sort of dressing or care would be appropriate to preserve the meat?

WellB, when I recover the hog after killing, I try to elevate it's head higher than it's rear legs, if I can I'll string it up by it's head and cut open the stomach and gut it out. When I get to camp I'll wash the cavity out, find the closes convenience storeand then pack the cavity with ice bags. I live in FL and the meat will spoil quick. When I get home I start the fire under a cut in half 55gal drum filled with water. When the water is scolding I drop in two burlap bags in the water and pull them out and lay them on the hog for about 10mins.Then with the back of the butchering knife I start scraping the hair off. I then hose it down good andIt is ready for the pit.

[/align]

[align=left]

[/align][/align]

[/align][align=left]For the bottom of the holder, the bars and mesh should be securely strapped to the two long poles with fencing clamps and heavy gauge wire. For the top section, the short flat irons need to be wired to the two long flat irons.[/align][/align]

[/align][align=left]Lay the pig belly side up (skin side down) on the wire mesh. Use heavy wire and a pliers to wire the two sections together, one on top of the pig.[/align][/align]

[/align]
While it's roasting we keep brushing on Kirbys "Mojo" merinade

[/align]

[/align]

[/align]

[/align]
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 PM

Thank you very much-that is some fantastic info!

Have you ever smoked a hog using a traditional, store bought smoker?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: B Ott

Thank you very much-that is some fantastic info!

Have you ever smoked a hog using a traditional, store bought smoker?
NOPE!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

awesome advice and illustrations.....[8D]
Old 07-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Hey Reb, will that roasting thing with the fencing... will that work on an open wood fire with a small hog, what about a big one? I dont have a smoker but was thinking I could make a fire and do it.

Quick Reply: Field dressing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.