Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

4 wheelers

Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 PM

Default 4 wheelers

Holy $#%&^*%$!??? Where's the Tylenol - ala Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation. I've been patiently scouting in person and retrieving deer cam photos this Summer in my core hunting area which is basically my backyard - several acres of thick woods surrounded by neighbors who've given me permission to hunt during archery season.

I've been keeping my time in well-used trail areas, etc., to a minimum, and despite my best efforts, the past few nights I've been invaded by 4 wheelers.

Neighbor down the road just bought his grandson a 4 wheeeler and they come tearing through the woods on the neighbors' property to the left and the right of us. Both neighbors aren't always here as the one has a seasonal cabin and the other is building a house an not moving in til October. And so the 4 wheelers comewhen they're not around - usually in the last few hours of light and one night this week - the neighbor and his buddy came tearing in at 10:30 pm. Both times, BTW, when I've traditionally gotten lots of photos on the trail cam.

The 4 wheelers never do this when my neighbors are here and I know neither neighbor would want them doing it. The one neighbor keeps to himself pretty much. The other, building the house, told me it takes a lot of guts to do something like that when I told him and didn't seem very happy. But I doubt he'll do anything about it because it won't bug him until he moves in this fall. Again, they wait til he and the building crew leave at night to start up their off roading.

It'll be interesting to see my deer cam pics this week to see if the deer have been going through at the normal times or going totally nocturnal cause of this. Hopefully they'll keep coming through in the early morning at least when the 4 wheelers are in bed or at school.

BTW, I know they come down our driveway when we're at work cause there's 4 wheeler tracks on the driveway, AFTER I put several NO TRESPASSING signs up at the entrance a few nights ago.

I know the neighbor who does the 4 wheeling. He plows our driveway with his skidloader in the winter and he's a nice guy. He probably doesn't think he's doing anything wrong but then again, why does he only go on people's land when they're not there?

I'm thinking about putting my trail cam on a tree pointed down the driveway so I get some pics of them in action. I am teed off but I've always found the best course of action is to settle down before you talk to someone. I'm going to think about what I'll say to him and if it keeps up, head over there to talk to him about it and explain to him that although I can't keep him off my neighbors land, please refrain from driving all over mine when I'm not here or I will call the police and show them the photos.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 4 wheelers

Get those pics and show them to the offending neighbor , make sure he understands that if they don't stop doing it he won't be the last one to see the pics . You can probably nip this in the bud this way since it's early in the game .
Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

"sort of" off-topic.....but.....

I just bought an ATV this year. I used to hike my food to my feeders....50#'s at a time.......nearly 1/4 mile. I bought the ATV for numerous reasons......but one was to alleviate having to do so much walking/hauling MYSELF....lol.

My contention is.....that I leave less scent in my area NOW......than I did when I was walking to and fro. My "honey hole" is fairly close to the road, anyways.....and the landowner has always been in and out of there with tractors.

I'm guessing your deer "might" get used to the ATV's......but I'm sorry you have to worry about it. Here's the bottom line. If it isn't your land.....stay OFF OF IT if you don't have permission. What's so hard about that? I think your neighbor is NOT teaching his kids a lesson that someone else MAY teach them.....the hard way.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 AM

I've settled down a little. But I am still planning to set the trail cam up down the driveway once I retrieve the deer pics this weekend (again, I want to see if this is affecting deer movement in the meantime). And I will talk to the neighbor if he comes down our driveway but there's nothing I can do about the neighbor's land.

I do think the deer in our area are fairly used to ATVs as there are a lot of them around. But what if there is that mature buck who decides 'to heck with this, I've got thousands of acres of state park land nearby. I don't need to be hassled by 4 wheelers every evening.'

SBGobblers, I think you're hitting the nail on the head. The thing that more gets my goat is the not respecting the neighbor's rights as property owners. They wave at me like they're having a great time riding through the woods as though they're not doing anything wrong. But they have to think there is. Why else would you wait until the neighbors' aren't there?

As I told my wife, I wonder how this guy would feel if I set up my pop-up blind on his front lawn one evening and started taking target practice at my 3d target? I would never think of it. Why? It's his land and I have no right to be there without his permission.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple things to say on this issue. I will be on both sides of the fence too.

I'm an avid ATV rider. My wife and kids also have ATV's. We do most of our riding on state or federally owned land that have established ATV trails. We also belong to an ATV club that owns and leases land for trails.

We also ride near our home.I will tell you that deer will become use to ATV's after a while. Many, many times we ride by deer at about 30yds in areas with lots of ATV traffic. The deer just stand there. As long as the quad is moving and doesn't stop, they will let you ride on by. So maybe after a while, if those guys do enough riding, those deer willl become use to the ATV's to the point that they will just trot a short distance or hide until the ATV leaves.

I can understand your feelings about the trespassing ATV's, though. I'm sure you would rather the ATV's just weren't there at all.

Here's what to do;

Just keep quite about it. If you start complaining, you'll be the first one suspected. Set some booby traps. You'll need some sharp pieces of metal. Something like a crude knife blade without the handle.Old broadheads will work too. Use any knid ofjunk metal with sharp edges. If there are any mud puddles on these ATV trails ( if not now, there soon will be) put these blades under the water.You can also use nails, but they won't do much damage and the quad will be back up and running in no time.If there are any places with a tight squeeze, such as where they go between a rock and tree or two trees, this is a good place to set a blade to slice open a sidewall.

Use things that are sharp but would not look like things deliberatly set out. Go to a yard sale and get an old hatchet or rake, stuff like that.

Yeah, I know these are dirty tricks, but if these guys are trespasing then it is their fault because they shouldn't have been riding in the first place.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Note to self....don't piss off Windwalker [8D]
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Note to self....don't piss off Windwalker [8D]
I well second that!!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Here's what you do, if there coming down your diveway take some duct tape and press 2" roofing nails through it abot 2" apart. At night or when you leave stretch it across your drive. Throw a little sand over it, i think they will get the point.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent idea deer whisperer, I got some people that have been sneaking on my land with 4 wheelers and that will take care of their tires without hurting someone. Windwalker could get someone stabbed if they turned over or were just walking through the puddles.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey,
I own and operate a wheeler...slashin tires and setting out sharp objects....not nice guys, lowering yourself......
I say go and have a word with him...after you are sure it is him passing in your driveway, you mentioned other wheelers around, could be ya going for the wrong guy...pics will tell.
If he plows your driveway he probably assumes you don't mind and you may find him plowing your drive with the wheeler come this winter probably won't if you slash his tires.
Does going through your drive take him away from the deer?
Could be you could work something out...you get deer....he shortcuts through your drive...you guys share a deersteak or two and some beers, your driveway gets plowed in timely manner and for less cost maybe.

KPR

Quick Reply: 4 wheelers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.