Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guess I will carry 3 different broadheads >

Guess I will carry 3 different broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guess I will carry 3 different broadheads

Old 07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Guess I will carry 3 different broadheads

I have never used more then one type. I start my practice with field tips and then after a few weeks I start using my hunting tips. I carry 3 arrows with broad heads and 1 with a field point. Just so you know I don't see anything wrong with it I just found it a little odd.I have never heard of bringing 3 different arrows into the woods with me. Understanding that I have never shoot 3 different blades in one practice session. Bow in tune or not, I would think they may fly a little different. But like I said I have never tried it. I had a buddy that would start with field points and then go to his broadheads and they weren't even close. With that being said I doubt he even understands that a bow needs to be tuned. Oh well go luck to you guys this season.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Copper31,
For myself I prefer a non cut on contact when hunting a ground blind, my blades tip has graced the inside of a blind more than once and if too much pressure is applied it can open up a new hole in the ground blind lickity split.
I carry the sidewinders in case any medium sized to small pigs decide to show up at dark. They open up a sweet big hole which helps in a shorter recovery of the smaller beast.

I like the phantom in case any really BIG PIGS come to play, if it will go 150# plus I want a big ole mean head to help me out.

Muzzy 3's, slick tricks & stingers, I've had great luck with the slick tricks & muzzies and the stingers seem to fly the best for me & I own them.

If they all shoot out to the distance I plan to hunt, why not?

Oddly enough my muzzy 3's & stingers grouped the best (nice & tight) for me yesterday. The others were moved from arrow to arrow until each was well within a 1.5" from point of aimat 30 yards (usaually 1").
I use a small square of masking tape on a black face and measure the distance from the center of the square to the center of the arrow.

The results are written on the fletching and the head is mated with that arrow.

I own them, why not use them?
We have a fairly decent pig population on my West Texas lease so their is a good chance they could all get used before seasons end.

BTW, 30 yards is all the range I have for now. I'll stretch it out to 40 before season arrives and cull further depending on those results.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I see now. I didn't realize you were hunting more then just deer. That does make sense now. Coming from Wisconsin we don't have hogs to hunt. Just deer. I could see using more then one for that reason.I use a different blade for turkey but I don'tbring them with while whitetail hunting.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM

Hey VA headhunter, How durable are those things? I have heard from many people that they are very fragile. But while at the archery shop two weeks ago I picked up an arrow with one on and I cut myself pretty bad. I didnt really even touch the thing! So I know they are sharp but just curious as far as durability. Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I'll stick with my Thunderhead 100's.

If it ain't broke don't fix it and I have kept my freezer stoked with venison for many years.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER

im stickin with my crimson talons. out of 11 bow kills last year i didnt have a deer go further then 30 yards after the shot. those things are sick

used them once. I liked them, they brought down the deer. Only prob the blades were bent up and 1 was broken off.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 PM

Anyone shot the new CT Hyper Speeds? I just ordered a set to test for myself.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 AM

I will be carrying both Slick Tricks and Razor Sharks into the field this year. The Slicks performed well for me last season and I wanted to see how the Sharks do after reading a couple of posts. A couple of the areas that I hunt require that I take a doe first so the Sharks will be out. In my county, I can take an unlimited number of doe so I could possible shoot all 4 arrows in one day! LOL Doubt it, but could happen.