Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help shooting!! >

Need help shooting!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help shooting!!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Need help shooting!!

I've been practicing lately and have noticed that I can't keep my groups together. Most of my groups at 20 yards are about 2 to 4 inches. What can I do to improve my shooting? I am shooting a pse triton 55#, gold tip hunters, tru glo sight, and a whisker biscuit rest. I just want to be completely confident in my shooting when the "big one" shows up.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help shooting!!

Practice more, and more and more and more and more and more and more and, well you get the picture. Analyze every step you take before releasing that arrow, where and how you place your feet, how far apart your feet are, where is your weight, how is your posture, is your bow arm bent slightly, is it straight, are you torking the bow, how is your bow grip, is your nose touching the same place on the string every time, is your release hand turned, do you have tension on the bow string. So every time you release an arrow go through your steps, and every time you release a arrow realize what you did wrong, after a while it becomes second nature,and every shot should be a suprise... Hope this helps, but until you shoot thousands of arrows down range u will have mistakes, and then you will still make mistakes.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot smaller dots, make sure your bow is set up right for you, tune your bow, concentrate 100% on EACH shot.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:48 AM

Like Josh said, aim for smaller dots. I have 'sharpied' quarter sized dots on my target. Helps a bunch.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 AM

#1 make sure your bow is in tune #2 make sure your form is consistent and that you are using the right arrow for your bow #3 practice practice practice #4 repeat steps 1-3 everytime you pick up your bow.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

4 inch group at 20 will kill a deer everytime
Old 07-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Practice, the best thing you can do to tighten groups is practice everyday whenever you get the chance.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:15 PM

Devils Advocate:
So we say practice - What if he practices the wrong thing over and over. Will more practice help?
We tell him to be sure the bow is tuned. What does that mean?
We say shoot at smaller targets. How if you can't hit big ones?
We say make sure your form is right. What if I do not know what right looks like?

Sits back and grins and listens to the experts teach us how :&gt

Old 07-22-2006, 03:15 PM

my advice is to let the bow surprise you, you'll get to learn what that means. of course, don't hold your bow tight, just let it rest in the palm of your hand, and when you put your sights on the target, hold it there and release so slowly that you don't know when it is going to fire, so that is somewhat "surprises" you. this will minimize jerking the shot. and finally, you will naturally catch your bow after you shoot, it should fall a little because you shouldn't be holding it tight, the only this holding it up is the tension of the string and the bow pushing against the palm of your hand. just consentrate on the shot, not what happens after the shot,
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I've been practicing lately and have noticed that I can't keep my groups together. Most of my groups at 20 yards are about 2 to 4 inches. What can I do to improve my shooting? I am shooting a pse triton 55#, gold tip hunters, tru glo sight, and a whisker biscuit rest. I just want to be completely confident in my shooting when the "big one" shows up."

Here's my observation from your post:

1. no mention of how you do shoot which is a huge amount of info left out.
2. PSE Triton. Not too familiar so I can't say much but the pse i am familiar with has a very softto none back wall. Difficult to shoot and will give groups in a vertical plain because of shooting from a different poundage every shoot unless you have very good form.
3. GT hunters are notall that close in tolerences so getting bigger groups would be expected.
4. TruGlo sight. A pins a pin as far as a reference point is concerned. There are other things to consider.
5. Wisker biscuits can work well but their main attraction is not shooting tight groups.Goodgroups, but not tight. I've heard they can though.

Here's one tip I have found works for me, focus on the pin and let it settle on thetarget, release. When I focus on the target and let the pin settle on it my view of the pin is blurred causing it to be bigger and kind of off to the side of where it really is.

Quick Reply: Need help shooting!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.