Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help shooting!! >

Need help shooting!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help shooting!!

Old 07-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help shooting!!

My advice will get some attention to some faithful users but the first thing I would do is get rid of the WB...I just had tkycaller here and we removed his WB, put on a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter and he made the comment to me in my backyard after shooting 3 arrows at 40 yards and having vane contact in his group, "I've never had a group as tight as that at 30 yards, let alone 40 yards with my WB"...his group tightened greatly with the new rest.

I'm not a fan of the WB....he can explain more if he sees this particular thread.

Don't bash me WB devotees....it's simply my experience and opinion on the WB...I know some of you use it with fantastic results I'm glad for that.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing that most improved my groups at 20 yds. was to start each session at 20 yds. then move out to 30 yds. .....at first you might be discouraged at 30 yds. but hang in there....as you improve at 30, 20 will be a snap! Move back in to 20 to end the session and you will end with that confident feeling we all have after a good shoot. Helped me immensely!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my advice

Follow through, follow through, follow through.

When you have your pin on the target and touch off the release, just keep your pin on the target. Don't drop your bow hand to see the arrows flight. Don't look around the bow to see where you hit. Just keep the pin on target until you hear the arrows impact. Those small movements you make to look at the arrow really throw you off target.

Practice at long distance, 40 and 50 yds. Following through is so important at long range. If you don't follow through, you will miss by lots. Shooing at long range really teaches you to keep that pin on the target. If you drop your bow arm or look around it you will be way off the mark. Follow through without trying to see where you hit. Just control your urge to watch that arrow.

If you practice for a solid week at 50yds ( have a big backstop) and then move up to 20 yds. it will seem like a piece of cake. Be careful not to shoot too many arrows at 20, you'll be busting nocks. I'm a firm believer in practicing at those long ranges.

I know guys that are excellent shots but once they move past 30 yds, they start falling apart. The more they miss the more they want to see where the next arrow hits. Don't fall into this trap.

Just make sure the back stop is big enough so you don't lose arrows. Try not to cocern yourself with where each arrow hit. Just make sure you are on target when you release, and KEEP THE PIN ON TARGET!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 PM

GROUP ARE GOOD WHEN YOU SETTING PINS BUT ONCE YOU GET THOSE PINS I WOULD PRACTICE LIKE A MARINE SNIPER ONE SHOT ONE KILL. THAT BIG BUCK AIN'T GOING GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO GROUP. I PRACTICE SHOOTING REAL HUNTING SITUTATION ONE SHOOT AT TIME, EVERY FIVE MINUTES TO GET RID OF THE SHAKES.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:20 PM

Now I am seeing advice you can count on. The pros are speaking loud.
Here is a start to good shooting.
Take your bow to a professional to ensure it is properly set up and shoots clean holes in paper. Lock the shoulder of your shooting arm the same[/b] each time you shoot. Nock in the same[/b] spot every time. Hold the bow consistently[/b] level. Focus on the exact spot you want to hit every time[/b]. Go through a mental check list every time[/b] you practice. Join a club and get to know others that shoot. They can watch you and advise you on what to improve on. Use a video camera to record your stance and reactions as you shoot to identify faults in your form. Destroy the pictures after you watch so your buddies don’t see them. Just kidding on that one, but it could get a little uncomfortable. :&gt
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will say that after putting on a different rest than the WB I am shooting much tighter groups. I was doing ok with the WB but not where I wanted to be as far as I was concerned.
Like Rob said, I grouped three at forty and had all vanes touching!!! That was a first for me at that yardage.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

GROUP ARE GOOD WHEN YOU SETTING PINS BUT ONCE YOU GET THOSE PINS I WOULD PRACTICE LIKE A MARINE SNIPER ONE SHOT ONE KILL. THAT BIG BUCK AIN'T GOING GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO GROUP. I PRACTICE SHOOTING REAL HUNTING SITUTATION ONE SHOOT AT TIME, EVERY FIVE MINUTES TO GET RID OF THE SHAKES.
ropedawg has some very good advice here. When I first read it I was a bit skeptical but I kept thinking back to many times when my shooting deteriorated after a number of shots....I was determined to get a good group. Maybe that is good when you are first getting accustomed to a new bow....but I can see that once you get to a level with a bow you are happy with, then the one shot-one kill practice is the way to go. I have been doing this for several days with great results. You find yourself putting more into that one shot than you would if you knew you would follow it up with many more. Thanks ropedawg.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had that promlem last year and found out I was gripping my release in my hand and therefore torking it. Just a suggestion relax your release hand letting the strap connect you to it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:03 PM

All of these guys have very good suggestions. I used to own an archery pro shop and the two problems I encountered most often was the rest and the release aid (supposing you`re using one). I suggest a good fall-a-way rest, like the Shakey Hunter or the one made by Qad, and a good release aid, I prefer Scott. A good release will have a crisp trigger, kind of like a good rifle trigger. A release that has a long, creepy trigger will destroy your accuracy. A good release will cost more, but its worth it. I`m not a fan of the WB either.