Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game Camera

Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 PM

Default RE: Game Camera

well i went to wally world and purchased a moultrie 2.1 megapixel camera for $99. It seems to be pretty sweet, but i need to go buy a battery and a memory card so that i can hold 450ish high res pics!

I am excited!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I had a Moultrie 200 but took it back. Took great pics during the day but on night pics the deers eyes were almost as big as the head. They looked like cartoon deer. It also would flash on some day pics and white out the whole pic. I put it on the same tree as my $50 Stealth cam and the Stealth took more pics, all with deer in them. The Moultrie just did not trigger. I'm saving up to get a Cuddeback.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:23 PM

hmmm i hope i dont experience any of those problems!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

well the flash problem i do but its something you can look over who cares about the eyes
Old 07-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Like I said the cam takes good pics during the day time.
Cougars you are correct if you just want to see what deer you have in the area the eyes do not matter. I just did not like the pics that way. The cam did miss alot of pics also.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 PM

I just picked one up today. First one ever. I set it out at the property I hunt. I put it at a cross section of trail. Any tips for the first time trail camera guys?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 AM

yeah i am putting mine out tomorrow, and reflex i too shoot a reflex, an excursion. Whatta da chances of dat?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:49 AM

I was in a hurry when I typed my name......hence the mispelled Reflex.....I feel like a tard...lol. I am gonna check the cam tomm. I have a lap top, so I am just gonna hook up the usb port to it and leave the unit up. Reflex is a great company by the way...lol. I shoot the Buckskin.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:21 AM

damn that is awesome with the laptop dude and just taking it down. I am just going to buy a memory card so i can just pull it out.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'l say that for under $200, the Moultrie 200 is going to be hard to beat. I have had one out since November pof lasy tear and have taken over 4000 pics with it. Yeah, I get the occasional washed out pic, but my Cuddeback does that too on occasion.

Chasingame is now saying that the Stealth WD2 is the best digital under $200.

I have one of the new Cuddeback no flash units, and I have to say I'm very unimpressed with the new design. On the old unit you could screw the unit to the tree AND lock it with the cable. Now it's either/or. Also, the new battery compartment is a real PITA; you have to take it off the tree to change the batteries. Also if you screw it to the tree too tight, the batteries will come loose and fall out the bottom of the camera. They no longer supply the locking cable OR a USB cable with the camera either, but yet they charge the same price as the older units. I'll reserve final judgement for when I go retrieve the pics, but initial impressiond of the new design are not good. I have one of the older model 3MP units, so I have something to compare it to.

Also, there seems to be some issues (possibly software related) with the new ones as well. There's a lot of unhappy folks right now.