Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
help finding deer >

help finding deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help finding deer

Old 11-04-2002, 08:41 AM

Default help finding deer

I shot a buck this morning, it was raining pretty hard, so there was little blood. the deer was about 5 steps & to the right, I am about 20 feet up so it was a pretty severe angle, when I shot I heard it hit and he ran about 20 yards and just turned & looked at me. I noticed that he was limping a little and you could see blood low on his left side, and non on his right side. It was weard, he just walked off w/ the other deer, I watched them for about 2-3 minutes. when i got down there was white hair on my arrow and not much blood. I new it wasn't a great hit, so I waited 30 minutes or so and looked for blood. I found one spot of blood & It was bright, that was it. What do you think. I didn't want to push it so I went home, what do you think
Old 11-04-2002, 09:03 AM

Default RE: help finding deer

Sounds to me like you shot low and hit the deer in the leg.That's the only way i could see you getting white hair at that angle.If you had shot thru the deer at exited in the brisket or low on the other side the deer would have been dead on his feet,not acting like nothing happened.Hunting in the rain is tough,I will usually go after a deer right away if it's raining.If you wait you won't have a trail anyway.
Goodluck,
Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 11-04-2002, 10:46 AM

I had a similar situation last season. I shot and my arrow nicked a branch and kicked low. When I retreived the arrow it was broken in half with white hair on the head and one tiny spot of blood on the shaft.
I tracked blood for 50 yards and it stopped.
We deduced that the arrow when it kicked low it must have grazed his leg and cut him. Merely a flesh wound though. Wont kill him, so take comfort in knowing that he is still out there to get and dont knock your self out about it.

The Brown-Down is ON!!!!

Steven J. Collins (Trock63)
Bowdaddy Productions
Old 11-04-2002, 12:30 PM

thanks for the advise, that is what i thought also, just wanted to get you guys advise. Just have to shake it off & get back in the woods. Good luck to everyone!!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't quit on him yet. I would go back out and spend atl east 4 or 5 hours looking for him. I have mortaly hit deer that have stoped, looked back and walked off. You never know until you look until you can't look anymore.