Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you do????? >

What do you do?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do?????

Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Default What do you do?????

I know this has happened to everyone.... I'm just curious what your thoughts are on this....

When you are walking into the woods in the dark before daylight and can't see,when your closingin on your stand you hear some deer spook and get up and take off running. Does this mean you shouldn't hunt??. Even if you try to get away from the bedding area and hunt a crossing route you can sometimes jump deer on the way in.What should you do????
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you do?????

If I heard them spook and they stopped not to far off I would just sit down where ever I was until daylight and not move until I scoped the area out real well. I don't have a lot of experience hunting out of a tree stand though so others may have better ideas of whatto do.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd still hunt in the area, might move my climber some if the situation warrented it.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a perfect story for this, alright i was 12 years old and it was the first juvenile hunt, i was walking with my step dad to my ladder stand.There are 4 wheeler trail through the whole land so i walked in quite,but as soon as i stepped over off the trail and crunched into the leaves a deer blows and runs off and i was like shoot there goes my chances.I went to the stand anyway and about 830 here came a doe walking towards my stand. 5 shots later i had my deer, i consider myself lucky i killed her after missing her my first shot. Anyway dont give up on it they usually come back to sniff things out and if its a bedding area you know theyll be back
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 PM

I had the same thing happen this past year. I went to my stand anyway and sure enough, about an hour later he came back. Not close enough for a shot however, but he came right back to where he was spooked as I'm sure he didn't know what it was that spooked him. They probably get spooked every night by something [coons, possums, etc...]
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just keep moving towards my stand and hunt it. You prolly scare deer everytime you go to a stand. They will settle back down and new deer will come into your area heading back to the bedding areas.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:00 PM

Just like honkey said.

I would definently stay at my stand during the rut. You know your chances must be better than average having the scent of a deer close by in hopes of that buck checking it out.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 PM

During the rut I'd stay, but any other time, if I KNEW they smelled me, I'd go somewhere else. If i thought they only heard me, I'd definately keep hunting there.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunt it! This is why we say only hunt once a week if it's a regular spot. If you want to confirm about the revist, evening hunt a new area, kick up deer and hunt that very spot. They will return everytime.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 PM

One year walking to my brother's stand for rifle season we bumped out a deer. He went up to his stand and I walked on to get to mine.
Then just as the season opened at 7:30, I heard a shot from his way.
We bumped the one since it was in out path but it turns out that 3 more were bedded near by and never jumped. He watched them all thru first light as they got up and started to browse the area until he could take a shot. He even saw one wander over and join them from the direction the one we spooked ran to.So might as well stay. Besides that means nothing to what may come by later on in the morning or that afternoon.