Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows? >

Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows?

Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows?

I am pulling back 55 pounds with a 27 inch draw and am shooting around 225 fps. Since i have a slower bow would it make more sense to use a cut on contact broadhead. I just want to make sure i can get a clean and humane kill. Last year i shot a deer with a crimson talon and it only want half way through. Luckily i got the deer, but i just don't want that to happen again. I did get some slick tricks, but i'm not sure that would help the penetration problem. What our your thoughts???
Old 07-18-2006, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows?

Here's where we learn from the trad guys. They all use cut on contact heads, and I figure it's for a reason. They shoot much slower than you do, so yes, I would say that's a good choice. There are gozillions out there, so that's the hard part. Magnus Stingers are GREAT.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Tritons by Wac em cut on contact blades can be replaced and tip can be
sharpened on any stone. Shoot accurate and very good penetration.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

The Talons use up a lot of energy in the animal because of the "aero-foil" fins, thus reducing penetration. I would stay with COC. Typically, the more blades and surface area on them, the greater the reduction in penetration, so keep that in mind when deciding on two blades, three blades, and bleeders. Some quality ones are: Magnus, Muzzy Phantoms, Simmons Sharks, Wasp Sharpshooter, NAP Razorback, Razorcaps, Steel Force (non-serrated), Sonic/American Broadhead Company, G5 Montec and B-52, Zwickey, Bear. Probably the only chisel tip type head, like the Muzzy, I would consider would be the Innerloc. Innerloc actually makes a two blade version and the chisel tip is smaller than the Muzzy, though very tough. The Muzzy would probably do the job, but the Innerloc in that configuration would penetrate better.
Smaller profile heads like the Wac'em, G5 Striker, and the Sonic/Americans offer a lot of penetration in the popular 3 blade configuration however.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM

I shoot a Buck Master 2000.I have a 29" draw and it's set a 52lb pull.I shoot Gold Tip carbon arrows with a 4 blade 100 gr.Muzzy broadheads.
I've been archery hunting for only 5 years but have taken 2 deer.Both were double lung pass throughs.My farthest shot was about 25 yards and the arrow broke a rib going in and one coming out.He walked about 10 yards and fell over dead.
Arrow placement is far more important than speed,imo.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

only 52 lbs and 29 inch draw thats a weird configuration

Old 07-18-2006, 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

only 52 lbs and 29 inch draw thats a weird configuration
Lanky!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I just threw out a brand new muzzy. It brought back a lot of memories from my old bow(I still have) many many kills!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am pulling back 55 pounds with a 27 inch draw and am shooting around 225 fps. Since i have a slower bow would it make more sense to use a cut on contact broadhead.
That' not slow.
I think we're talking about deer here right? I think Slick Tricks would be fine. However, if you are concerned about penetration on game, then yes, go with a cut on contact. I use Magnus Stingers and Muzzy Phantoms with my longbow. I believe Grizzly 160 grain have the best penetration in testing. However, we're talking about game much bigger then deer. I'd give the Grizzly's a go, but I have trouble sharpening a single sided blade.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 AM

I shoot a 52# longbow and if my arrows come out the way I want them too (I'm in the process of making up my 2006 hunting arrows) I'll be shooting probably 625-650 grain total weight arrows and maybe 160 fps

Yes, I'll be using a COI head, Magnus Stinger being my favorite right now. Elk Hunt in September with this combo and I have 100% confidence in that combo

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact broadhead for slower bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.