Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hitting A Deer's Stomach >

Hitting A Deer's Stomach

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hitting A Deer's Stomach

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Hitting A Deer's Stomach

Okay, I've got a weird question.... has anyone accidently hit a deer's stomach with either a broadhead or a bullet? I've done it once on a groundhog and it ruined the prospects of harvesting the meat...[:'(]
But fortunately never with a deer.... has anyone ever hit this region on accident though... how likely is it and how harvestable was the meat afterwards?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hitting A Deer's Stomach

wash it off with water as soon as you can and itll be fine. ive shot a couple through the body if i cant find a creek ill rush home to use the hose. either way i like to use the hose at home creek or no creek, gut shot or now.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:19 AM

So the bile doesn't spoil the meat... good....

with a groundhog it makes an absolute mess... course there's not alot of meat on a groundhog to begin with
Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get it to a creek and wash it. It will be fine...ven though it doesn't smell like it.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Okay cool.... my typical hunting spot is actually a ridge wall over a creek so that won't be a problem... and the same creek runs along our cabin so no problem there either

Old 07-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of times I've used the blood in the cavity while gutting it to wash off some of the stomach contents until I get home. Yea it smells nasty at first, but once you clean it up its fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davewoodrum

I've done it once on a groundhog and it ruined the prospects of harvesting the meat...[:'(]
You eat groundhog? Huh, didn't know people ate them.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Yeah, the meat is difficult to describe... its not great meat, its not a huge amount of meat, but skinning out a groundhog for meat only takes about a half an hour or so and the meat source is abundant....
If you roast it with alot of pepper its sorta like roast beef by most people's comparison... but I compare it to halfway being pork (and half way being not) and if you par boil it and then reboil it (like a piece of boiled chicken) with some garlic and seasoning salt its kinda like a bit between chicken and pork in my own tastes... with a leaning towards pork.