HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147795-what-would-you-do.html)

gibblet 07-13-2006 05:08 AM

what would you do?

so, there's a local shop who for the last year has had the opportunity to carry my strings and cables but hasn't. that's fine. i shoot there a lot and have purchased 2 bows there this year and lots of other stuff.
well, little by little most all his staff shooters have started using my strings instead of WC or VT or SM. not only that but they have bought them at regular price for their entire families - and extended relatives. well, the 2nd best shooter down there bought a switchback set for his brother and his brother went to have them installed. there is a sign on the door that says 'string installation: $5 if bought here, $6 if not'

well chris shows up to have it done - mind you chris is large - played on the line in college football - and their were 4 or 5 customers down there - and the owner started bad mouthing my product to chris and the customers. told him he couldn't understand why anyone would put those strings on their bow - that he'd hate them - and on like that. chris knows his brother has competed all over the eastern side of the country with them - and knows better - so it was really a show for the other customers in there. chris says ' well, are you going to do it or am i taking them somewhere else because these are the strings i want to shoot'. the owner says 'i'm not touching them' and gets his help to do it. now this owner or shop has never installed my strings on a bow before. none of his shooters will let him touch their bows, and i don't let them touch mine either - but they have a good selection of products.

well these 2 brothers feel strongly enough about this incident to call me - tell me what happened, and the one is risking his relationship with the owner and probably his shooting position - which he could shoot for any shop he wants too. and i shoot with all these guys on the team and we're all buddies.

i call the shop owner and very politely mind you - because i never get froggy until i'm going to jump - say- in the same tone and manner i'd invite someone over to dinner - 'we need to have a sit down and talk about some things.' by the way - when i called the owner was like ' hey john, how ya doin' buddy?' so he says 'about what?' and i say 'the things you said to chris'. next thing i hear in a gruff voice is 'don't bring your strings down here.' 'i didn't, chris did' 'well don't let me see them in this shop.' click. hung up on me. now, he's got a shed out there and i'm wanting to take him behind it for a meeting if you catch my drift - but my dad - who's 75 and all wise and stuff - says don't do it. its already biting him and he's lible to lose a few shooters over it, and some of his best customers. the brothers say he's being spiteful over the money he lost on the sale - and knowing the shop owner for 5 yrs or so i'd say they're right. i'll tell ya though - i'm pretty upset. i only live 15 minutes away and he'll never see another dime from me - but i just don't understand why if he really felt that way he wouldn't call me - but went behind my back - to another business owner - and thought they'd keep quiet about it. what would you do? and tim - the excellent shooter - ordered more strings after telling me about this - he shoots nothing but my strings for full price - so that's how those fellows feel about my work and service.

bullmoose38 07-13-2006 05:27 AM

RE: what would you do?

I know what I would want to do!!!!!!! But the best thing is probably just let it go. I am sure he will lose more customers if he acts like that. Hey he could have sold your strings right? Thats his own fault. Trust me I dealt with some shops like that in the past. Its funny because some local shoots I go to you can see where the people deal. Certain dealers think they got to set everyone up the same. When I need a new string on my Trykon I will look you up.

Xtremebone 07-13-2006 05:35 AM

That Guys is a Jerk, Gibblet you are on the right track do notworking when you can and hurt the guys pocket book that will be the last laugh. Don't you or your friends give him another dime.

statjunk 07-13-2006 06:06 AM

He's being a child. You need to be the adult. Consider the situation from his point of view and spin it on him. If you don't need him or his shop then just move on otherwise come to a meeting of the minds.

Tom

gibblet 07-13-2006 06:13 AM

i certainly don't need his shop for business. i'm prolly 2 weeks behind right now and losing ground - and that's pumping out strings 6 days a week.
i do enjoy the 3d course there, and of course the commarodary (sheese i don't know how to spell that) of just hanging out sometimes. now everyone in the state knows that he's a jerk, and there are many parts of the country where you'll get beat up just to mention the shop owner's name. my little buddy who works down there has people hate him just for working there. but, he's centrally located in the boonies between a lot of us who like to get together and shoot the breeze and maybe a practice round. maybe we'll open a shop and put him down.

trytan74 07-13-2006 06:29 AM

Thats the idea open your own shop take his best works/your freinds and drive him out of busness or at least give him a wake up call to the fact he needs to act his age and respect customers.

BTW love the pics of your strings and will be wanting 1 for my Allegiance.

Trytan

Cougar Mag 07-13-2006 06:40 AM

I would never shoot there again or buy any of his products, simple as that.

hardcorehunter 07-13-2006 06:50 AM

I wouldn't give him the sweat off of my %@!!$ for business; not another dime would be spent in his store. I would also tell him what I think of him to his his face since he was a wimp and hung up on you. I would also give him all of the bad word of mouth advertising I could. HCH

HuntinGUS 07-13-2006 07:03 AM

Wait until it's dark..... get a ski mask, a tube sock, some duct tape and................ just kidding! :D

I would have one more conversation with him. Face to face so he can't just hang up and let him know exactly how you feel. Speak you mind and if he wants to take it to another level so be it.

Never buy anything else there. and let all of the people in you community know what a dirt-bag he is. He will end up paying
the bigger price.

Rick James 07-13-2006 07:09 AM

I would not give any bad word of mouth advertising at all, I would allow him to slit his own throat. He already did in the eyes of his own staff shooters.