HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147795-what-would-you-do.html)

gibblet 07-13-2006 05:08 AM

what would you do?

so, there's a local shop who for the last year has had the opportunity to carry my strings and cables but hasn't. that's fine. i shoot there a lot and have purchased 2 bows there this year and lots of other stuff.
well, little by little most all his staff shooters have started using my strings instead of WC or VT or SM. not only that but they have bought them at regular price for their entire families - and extended relatives. well, the 2nd best shooter down there bought a switchback set for his brother and his brother went to have them installed. there is a sign on the door that says 'string installation: $5 if bought here, $6 if not'

well chris shows up to have it done - mind you chris is large - played on the line in college football - and their were 4 or 5 customers down there - and the owner started bad mouthing my product to chris and the customers. told him he couldn't understand why anyone would put those strings on their bow - that he'd hate them - and on like that. chris knows his brother has competed all over the eastern side of the country with them - and knows better - so it was really a show for the other customers in there. chris says ' well, are you going to do it or am i taking them somewhere else because these are the strings i want to shoot'. the owner says 'i'm not touching them' and gets his help to do it. now this owner or shop has never installed my strings on a bow before. none of his shooters will let him touch their bows, and i don't let them touch mine either - but they have a good selection of products.

well these 2 brothers feel strongly enough about this incident to call me - tell me what happened, and the one is risking his relationship with the owner and probably his shooting position - which he could shoot for any shop he wants too. and i shoot with all these guys on the team and we're all buddies.

i call the shop owner and very politely mind you - because i never get froggy until i'm going to jump - say- in the same tone and manner i'd invite someone over to dinner - 'we need to have a sit down and talk about some things.' by the way - when i called the owner was like ' hey john, how ya doin' buddy?' so he says 'about what?' and i say 'the things you said to chris'. next thing i hear in a gruff voice is 'don't bring your strings down here.' 'i didn't, chris did' 'well don't let me see them in this shop.' click. hung up on me. now, he's got a shed out there and i'm wanting to take him behind it for a meeting if you catch my drift - but my dad - who's 75 and all wise and stuff - says don't do it. its already biting him and he's lible to lose a few shooters over it, and some of his best customers. the brothers say he's being spiteful over the money he lost on the sale - and knowing the shop owner for 5 yrs or so i'd say they're right. i'll tell ya though - i'm pretty upset. i only live 15 minutes away and he'll never see another dime from me - but i just don't understand why if he really felt that way he wouldn't call me - but went behind my back - to another business owner - and thought they'd keep quiet about it. what would you do? and tim - the excellent shooter - ordered more strings after telling me about this - he shoots nothing but my strings for full price - so that's how those fellows feel about my work and service.

bullmoose38 07-13-2006 05:27 AM

RE: what would you do?

I know what I would want to do!!!!!!! But the best thing is probably just let it go. I am sure he will lose more customers if he acts like that. Hey he could have sold your strings right? Thats his own fault. Trust me I dealt with some shops like that in the past. Its funny because some local shoots I go to you can see where the people deal. Certain dealers think they got to set everyone up the same. When I need a new string on my Trykon I will look you up.

Xtremebone 07-13-2006 05:35 AM

That Guys is a Jerk, Gibblet you are on the right track do notworking when you can and hurt the guys pocket book that will be the last laugh. Don't you or your friends give him another dime.

statjunk 07-13-2006 06:06 AM

He's being a child. You need to be the adult. Consider the situation from his point of view and spin it on him. If you don't need him or his shop then just move on otherwise come to a meeting of the minds.

Tom

gibblet 07-13-2006 06:13 AM

i certainly don't need his shop for business. i'm prolly 2 weeks behind right now and losing ground - and that's pumping out strings 6 days a week.
i do enjoy the 3d course there, and of course the commarodary (sheese i don't know how to spell that) of just hanging out sometimes. now everyone in the state knows that he's a jerk, and there are many parts of the country where you'll get beat up just to mention the shop owner's name. my little buddy who works down there has people hate him just for working there. but, he's centrally located in the boonies between a lot of us who like to get together and shoot the breeze and maybe a practice round. maybe we'll open a shop and put him down.

trytan74 07-13-2006 06:29 AM

Thats the idea open your own shop take his best works/your freinds and drive him out of busness or at least give him a wake up call to the fact he needs to act his age and respect customers.

BTW love the pics of your strings and will be wanting 1 for my Allegiance.

Trytan

Cougar Mag 07-13-2006 06:40 AM

I would never shoot there again or buy any of his products, simple as that.

hardcorehunter 07-13-2006 06:50 AM

I wouldn't give him the sweat off of my %@!!$ for business; not another dime would be spent in his store. I would also tell him what I think of him to his his face since he was a wimp and hung up on you. I would also give him all of the bad word of mouth advertising I could. HCH

HuntinGUS 07-13-2006 07:03 AM

Wait until it's dark..... get a ski mask, a tube sock, some duct tape and................ just kidding! :D

I would have one more conversation with him. Face to face so he can't just hang up and let him know exactly how you feel. Speak you mind and if he wants to take it to another level so be it.

Never buy anything else there. and let all of the people in you community know what a dirt-bag he is. He will end up paying
the bigger price.

Rick James 07-13-2006 07:09 AM

I would not give any bad word of mouth advertising at all, I would allow him to slit his own throat. He already did in the eyes of his own staff shooters.

turtleshell 07-13-2006 07:10 AM

Don't waste your time...how much money could he possibly be losing by not selling your strings. Just tell him to buy in bulk from you if he doesn't want to do that, "f "that guy

gibblet 07-13-2006 07:24 AM

i agree with rickjames on the word ofmouthadvertising part - only because how will i be any different if i do that - that's why i didn't mention the shop name. only difference is i'd be telling the truth LOL

PLUS i had a talk with tim this morning who said he was leaving the shop over this and i said 'no way tim.' i told him this was between me and the shop owner, that i didn't need anyone picking sides, and that i didn't need or expect that as a friend - and i didn't want that for us to continue being friends and to do business together. this is going to hurt both the owner and i. he'll be losing a little $, i'm losing a hangout because i can't rightly shoot down there and such until he apologizes for going to far - and i'll tell him that. i don't mind getting cussed, or chris getting cussed for losing the fellow a couple dollars - but the badmouthing is too far - and i'll tell him he needs to apologize for only that. besides that he can try and make this a pick sides thing - but i'm enough by myself to handle it. thanks for letting me air this out here - and i believe i've decided how i'm moving forward. john

Talondale 07-13-2006 07:50 AM

Boy, bad business sense letting a personal peeve get in the way of serving the customer. The only thing I would have done, as the owner, is inform the customer that I couldn't warranty the work with those strings. But I'd put them on with a smile. He can't be loosing half as much on string sales as he is with a poor rep.

BTW, I wouldn't request the apology as an ultimatum, that will only get his back up. I would go in there and say something like "look, I understand you don't want to carry my strings, and that's fine, but I think you're out of line talking badly about me behind my back and treating me like dirt. Let's not let a little thing like strings ruin a good customer/owner relationship." When he tells you where to go (which I'm certain he will based on your description of his character) then tell him you have no choice but to take your business elsewhere, thank you.

Cougar Mag 07-13-2006 08:05 AM

i agree with rickjames on the word of mouth advertising part - only because how will i be any different if i do that - that's why i didn't mention the shop name
Thats taking the high road and showing your good character.:) When I need a set of cables/string for my Patriot..............I'll be getting in touch.;)

BobCo19-65 07-13-2006 08:22 AM

what would you do?
From what you have told us I think the guy is a real coward and has some mental issues.

chucker34 07-13-2006 08:24 AM

I think you're handling it right on giblet. I wouldn't badmouth the guy or try to drive business away from him - if nothing else for your friends that work there. Don't want to put them out of a job unless they want to leave themselves. How much time does the owner spend there.

I go to a large but family-owned sporting goods store for most of my archery and hunting purchases. The store's overall general manager is always a jerk, trying to push the latest and greatest on me. He told me the yellow jacket target broadhead target I was buying wouldn't last very long and gave me some advice on how to get the arrow out when it started passing most of the way through because it would happen soon(scare tactic). Then he showed me a much more expensive target. The day before, the archery shop manager in the store who I know and respect told me the yellow jacket was a wonderful target. Go figure. Seems like you take the bad with the good most times so hopefully this joker isn't around too much to bother you.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over this string issue unless its a signifigant part of your business. Sounds like you have a quality product. Have you ever considered talking to the folks at Cabelas or Bass Pro, or even larger, selectpro-shops in a broader area. You might want to take it that big, though. I have not idea. Seems like you lose on quality when that happens unless you can do everything yourself or get competent, skilled people to help.

ilovehunting 07-13-2006 10:07 AM

That guy is mentally ill. By the way, what is the name of your strings. And are they available for us,like over the internet?

gibblet 07-13-2006 01:58 PM

of course they're available.they are on quite a few members of this site's bows.

update: the owner called chris and apologized to him, and told him he shouldn't have said the things he did, and that i make very nice strings - and that he was upset over losing a sale ---- now, he'll still need to say something similar to me. i wonder if me sending uncle vinny and uncle tony over there had anything to do with it? seems he made the call during their visit.

just kidding.

chr103yod 07-13-2006 04:31 PM

This is the perfect place to get some revenge. Tell everyone the name of the shop and where it's located so they can avoid it. Anyone who treats a faithful customer like that over something as cheap as a string is a real looser. Who cares what you use on your bow, isn't the customer always right?

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-13-2006 05:35 PM

Gibblet, it's not that far off from an incident in a local shop here. I taught the guy everything he knows about making strings and got him started in his shop. The first year I sold more bows in his shop than he did and customers wanted me to work on their bows and not him. He was jealous and I was only trying to help him out, which I did. He doesn't speak to me today and I still say hey, how's it going. I try to be the bigger man and it spites him for me to say hi but one of these days I'm going to lay into him and tell him what is what, he's so smug and such an arse, he's loosing customers daily and everyone agrees with me but usually it suites life better to smile and be happy. Why add unnecessary stess, too many people suck on this earth and I simply don't waste a second of my life on said people, seconds are too precious.

nodog 07-13-2006 06:33 PM

Tough spot. Sounds like he's thinking things over. Give it some time. Wish I could help out but find I'm not very good at handling these kind of situations myself.

ampahunter 07-13-2006 08:27 PM

I've seen this happen at other Pro Shops before. Unfortunately a situation like this helps no one in the end.
For yourself, you would have lost a good hang out, a place to shoot the breeze, hear what other bow hunters have to say, enjoy all the great hunting 'stories' and all that goes onwhen passing the time in a Pro shop.
I'm thinking, even though as you mentioned, the Pro Shop had the chance to carry your strings & cables and chose not to,for whatever the reason or purpose.
This guy probablyfeels, you're using his shop, meeting his customersand finding business for yourself and he's not getting a piece of the pie.
I'm not saying this is the case, but in the cases that I knew of, relating to other Pro Shops--when something like this happens--this is what turns out to be the problem, sometimes.
Even though he sounds 'forked tongued'--- if it's worth your while and you want to stick around the shop--you may think of offering him 'something'
on the strings you sell to customers you met while hanging at the shop.
This kind of shows your willingness to give and take and maybe this is what he's looking for. Some form of commission.
The ball is in your court, I think it can be a win/win situation for both of you, if you can work something out between yourselves.

gibblet 07-14-2006 04:32 AM

you're right about that ampa. i think that is what he's worried about. i do keep quiet about it. its only his shooters that even know, and their families. it is a thing though, when i show up with the consti down there - and everyone is like 'oooooh, aaaahhhhh' that's probably it and i never even realized it. i don't look at the world like that - and i know he does - and he probably thinks i'm down there trying to drum a little business when i'm actuallyonly trying to escape the house for a while and have some buddy time.

stikbow26 07-14-2006 06:57 AM

gibblet, what do get for a set of those strings you sell?? Walt

tsoc 07-15-2006 08:34 AM

Hi gibblet, I wanted to provide a response the other day.I understand the dilemma.The guy is fearful that you are going to take business away from him andyou will to some degree.These issues arise all the time and some people are so fearful or greedy that don't realize there is plenty of business for everyone.
With the guy bad mouthing your work that takes it to a whole different level.I wouldn't bad mouth him but I would more than likely go my own separate way.If you want to really saintly you can go have a conversation with him and tell him that you are not at his place to solicit business,if some of that happens naturally there is nothing you can do about it,but you can tell him that you will make an effort to steer people to him for repair work or new sales.
Given the kind of guy that he seems to be I would be headed in a different direction.Life is to short,there are plenty of really decent people out ther who you would be better off aligning with.

jamiebuck 07-15-2006 01:18 PM

I would let it go and walk away a better man. like a few people said he already made himself look like a?

liv2hunt69 07-15-2006 01:24 PM

Id say walk away...

Greg / MO 07-15-2006 03:58 PM

I would never shoot there again or buy any of his products, simple as that.
Plus, I would drive as much traffic away from him as possible.

Chuck7 07-15-2006 04:30 PM

I'd find a different bow placeto do business. We have 2 magor ones .One is 12 miles .one is 25 .I go to th e25 miler because he is more professional and honest. The 12 miler sid I needed more cables .Parts and labour 60bucks. The one 25 miles smiled and said there nothing wrong with your bow or your cables. The Bible says "Not to return evil for evil " I would simply move on. He will "reap what he sows." That law is a faithful one.NO one gets away with anything.
c7

lte_622 07-15-2006 04:51 PM

Hey John,
If the guys being a jackass about the whole thing I dont blame ya for never giving him another dime thats what he gets.
BTW Your buddies and you opening a shop up would be a great idea to put him down, especially if you treat the customer nothing like he does.

dynatec 07-15-2006 07:52 PM

Sounds likethe owner hasn't any people skills,which is the first thing that's going to hurt his business.
Childish, as he didn't know enough to deal with his dilemma with you face to face.
Then the fact that he sells secondary strings(to yours so I hear:)) and this sounds like a receipt for failure.
Hopefullyhe can work his sh## outfor it would be a shame to loss another bow shop (in Nova Scotia they are few and far between)
If it were me in your shoes I don't think I could continue to hang out there no matter what he does.
good luck with that