HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what would you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147795-what-would-you-do.html)

nodog 07-13-2006 06:33 PM

RE: what would you do?

Tough spot. Sounds like he's thinking things over. Give it some time. Wish I could help out but find I'm not very good at handling these kind of situations myself.

ampahunter 07-13-2006 08:27 PM

I've seen this happen at other Pro Shops before. Unfortunately a situation like this helps no one in the end.
For yourself, you would have lost a good hang out, a place to shoot the breeze, hear what other bow hunters have to say, enjoy all the great hunting 'stories' and all that goes onwhen passing the time in a Pro shop.
I'm thinking, even though as you mentioned, the Pro Shop had the chance to carry your strings & cables and chose not to,for whatever the reason or purpose.
This guy probablyfeels, you're using his shop, meeting his customersand finding business for yourself and he's not getting a piece of the pie.
I'm not saying this is the case, but in the cases that I knew of, relating to other Pro Shops--when something like this happens--this is what turns out to be the problem, sometimes.
Even though he sounds 'forked tongued'--- if it's worth your while and you want to stick around the shop--you may think of offering him 'something'
on the strings you sell to customers you met while hanging at the shop.
This kind of shows your willingness to give and take and maybe this is what he's looking for. Some form of commission.
The ball is in your court, I think it can be a win/win situation for both of you, if you can work something out between yourselves.

gibblet 07-14-2006 04:32 AM

you're right about that ampa. i think that is what he's worried about. i do keep quiet about it. its only his shooters that even know, and their families. it is a thing though, when i show up with the consti down there - and everyone is like 'oooooh, aaaahhhhh' that's probably it and i never even realized it. i don't look at the world like that - and i know he does - and he probably thinks i'm down there trying to drum a little business when i'm actuallyonly trying to escape the house for a while and have some buddy time.

stikbow26 07-14-2006 06:57 AM

gibblet, what do get for a set of those strings you sell?? Walt

tsoc 07-15-2006 08:34 AM

Hi gibblet, I wanted to provide a response the other day.I understand the dilemma.The guy is fearful that you are going to take business away from him andyou will to some degree.These issues arise all the time and some people are so fearful or greedy that don't realize there is plenty of business for everyone.
With the guy bad mouthing your work that takes it to a whole different level.I wouldn't bad mouth him but I would more than likely go my own separate way.If you want to really saintly you can go have a conversation with him and tell him that you are not at his place to solicit business,if some of that happens naturally there is nothing you can do about it,but you can tell him that you will make an effort to steer people to him for repair work or new sales.
Given the kind of guy that he seems to be I would be headed in a different direction.Life is to short,there are plenty of really decent people out ther who you would be better off aligning with.

jamiebuck 07-15-2006 01:18 PM

I would let it go and walk away a better man. like a few people said he already made himself look like a?

liv2hunt69 07-15-2006 01:24 PM

Id say walk away...

Greg / MO 07-15-2006 03:58 PM

I would never shoot there again or buy any of his products, simple as that.
Plus, I would drive as much traffic away from him as possible.

Chuck7 07-15-2006 04:30 PM

I'd find a different bow placeto do business. We have 2 magor ones .One is 12 miles .one is 25 .I go to th e25 miler because he is more professional and honest. The 12 miler sid I needed more cables .Parts and labour 60bucks. The one 25 miles smiled and said there nothing wrong with your bow or your cables. The Bible says "Not to return evil for evil " I would simply move on. He will "reap what he sows." That law is a faithful one.NO one gets away with anything.
c7

lte_622 07-15-2006 04:51 PM

Hey John,
If the guys being a jackass about the whole thing I dont blame ya for never giving him another dime thats what he gets.
BTW Your buddies and you opening a shop up would be a great idea to put him down, especially if you treat the customer nothing like he does.