Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far do you live from your hunting area? >

How far do you live from your hunting area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hunt out by back door
25.00%
1-10 miles
21.67%
11-25 miles
26.67%
26-50 miles
11.67%
50-100 miles
5.00%
101-200 miles
3.33%
201-300 miles
3.33%
301-500 miles
1.67%
Over 500 miles
1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

How far do you live from your hunting area?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default How far do you live from your hunting area?

I keep watching the new shows and reading the magazines and I am starting to get the feeling that these guys have no idea who their viewership or readership is (or maybe I am wrong) - this is the idea behind the poll.

Contrary to most of these shows and articles, not all hunters can pick and choose which nights to hunt and not to hunt; (Cold Front, High Pressure,Moon Phase, etc..) And not all of us can have 20 different stands to choose from depending on the wind direction.

I do appreciate the information and advice, but it is almost assumed that we can all take advantage of the best hunting situations and avoid the least.

The best most of us, that aren't within earshot of hunting grounds, is to schedule a few long weekends (Friday's off)and maybe someextended vacation time (Wed-Fri)for the entire hunting season (up to 10 days total for archery and firearm combined).

Wesubmitvacation request forms - months in advance, so no one else picks the same day(s) that we do and then when those days come, we are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

Call us weekend warriors or yuppies, orwhateverif you must, but I'll tell you one thing, our hearts and souls are in it just as much as anyone elses.(and we buy a lot of #%^& that they sell)

Why not show us or write articles about how to hunt unfavorable conditions - when you have no other choice?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How far do you live from your hunting area?

I have land that I hunt that is several miles away (not to make anyone mad.....and I KNOW 'several' is subjective.......but in this instance...say 15-25 miles), but I do most of my hunting (My son and I) within the 48 acres we have adjacent to our home. It backs up to 174 acres of county parks land that NO ONE can legally hunt.....so we've got a pretty good spot.

Wake up.....spray down.....walk to the stand. We are lucky.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I live and Hunt in virtually opposite ends of Texas... Live in Houston, hunt Edwards county on the western edge of the Texas Hill Country. It's a long drive. This year I requested a week at the family place out there, and that looks like that'll be my time frame... When I was Growing up, a week was seldom needed to put meat in the freezer. Traditionally, we've always been blessed with plenty of deer, relatively easy to find. But I'm going out there more than anything, just to be out there. My favorite place in the world....
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM

i mostly hunt just down the road but i hunt at my dads cabin thats around 250 miles away in clinton county pa
Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I can hunt right on the property I live on , but I also hunt various places including a national forest and smaller publics within 50 miles or less .
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 PM

The land we are leasing is about 45 minutes from where I live. Not too bad
Old 07-11-2006, 12:02 PM

0-30 ish miles from home. I've seen 160 class deer off my back deck. Where I live in kansas there is a lot of public hunting ground and I know a lot of farmers cause I grew up in the area. I also have a lot of private ground to hunt on.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:08 PM

I hunt several different areas. Some privately owned, some state and some federal lands. Longest I have to drive is 40 minutes from my house.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the time I'll hunt close to home but when I hunt up north , it will be a 3 to 4 hour drive.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:16 PM

i have to go about 3 hours to my buddys trailer and 20 acres to hunt. Its cool cuz i can go anytime (basically) because i respect his land, but its a long drive. i would love to be able to hunt directly out of my back yard, but i also like taking the drive tothe hunting ground and smelling the crisp november air when i get out to unlock the gate to the dirtroad. so either way it works out, but it wouldbe cool to wake up and hunt - you can fit alot more hunting time into that situation than when having to drive 3 hours.

Quick Reply: How far do you live from your hunting area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.