Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Small Game Points Questions >

Small Game Points Questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Small Game Points Questions

Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 AM

Default Small Game Points Questions

Hey I was looking through some catalogs the other day and I saw the small game points.
Has anyone ever used them?
How well do they fly?
Do they penetrate the animal or do they just knock the crap out of them?
My father in lawhas some land with ground hogs andyou can get pretty close to them. Would Small game points be a good choice or just use a broadhead?

Old 07-04-2006, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Small Game Points Questions

I have never shot a ground hog with my bow but I think a broadhead would be ideal.

The G5 point looks like it would penetrate.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

You could use either on a ground hog; especially out of todays fast bows. Both are going to kill it. That head pictured should be a great performer, causing massive shock to the critter.HCH I would use a broadhead or that G5 head and stay away from the blunt head. That blunt head is for squirrels and rabbits and small stuff.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I like using field points with grasshoppers behind them. They penetrate small game and tear as they do. If you miss, they dig into the grass, ground and are easier to find. Another great product from Muzzy.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM

I use both of those tips ,,, alomost daily . I like them both for different reasons . The bludgens (rubber ones) are durable , you can shoot into trees and they're cheap . I've had some of the fastest kills on varmints with those - bow or rifle . On the bad side ,,, I have gut shot a couple of rabbits that did not react at all , shot straight though the stomach , lost rabbit . The g5 tip is amazing , I have hit a squirrel at 15' with a 70 lb bow - the arrow hit the chest solid , made a massive wound , and basiclly fell out . This is the only tip that has delivered all of an arrows potential energy (no pass through) . A gut shot will still pass through. But hit'em in the torso - you'll never find a better small game tip . Don't shoot these into trees ,, they'll bury to far to get out . I've shot every small game tip I could find - I keep 2 bludgens , 2 G5 S.G.H. , and one broad head in my quiver . I shoot small game several times a week , I don't think that I find any better archery tips . Forget the judos - they may work - but not for fast bows ,,, well no better than the bludgens .
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I started using the adder points. awesome destrruction on my target, although I havn't hit a varmint with them yet. I have no doubt they will do a woodchuck just as well as a BH. They are cheap also at 5/$5.