Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 you guys maybe happy to hear.. >

you guys maybe happy to hear..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

you guys maybe happy to hear..

Old 06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default you guys maybe happy to hear..

well guys, you all know i been wanting to bowhunt for YEARS and evvvvvery season i come up with another post about buying a bow..this year looked like id have one a long time ago, then the truck crapped out on me. TWICE. using up ALL my bow funds. thought about fixing the old bow in the garage but figured id have about 200 into it to get it decint and setup again and it would STILL be an old BIG slow bow. surely kill deer dead. but why spend 200+ on it instead of putting that towards a NEW bow? if all continues to go well i should have my Reflex Highlander by sometime in august. you guys wont like the route im going. I decided to go through Hunters Friend and buy it all fully rigged to hunt and tuned. in my situation i think thats the best route. to buy ALL that gear from a proshop and id be selling my truck to pay for it lol. if nothing goes wrong "knock on wood" ill bable to order at the end of july or my first check in august. although our bow season opens sept 30th, ill beable to shoot EVERY day in my yard till august 25th when i leave for college, then ill beable to shoot 3-4 days a week after that till season. in season when im home between hunts and work on weekends ill keep shooting. if im not confident in my shooting i wont hunt, ill keep drilling targets. i know you guys will say goto a proshop but i just cant afford that and come out with the bow i want. and i figured ill be working a couple days a week through september and should have the money to buy me a climbing treestand to go along with it! im excited. im about a 1/3 of the way there on my savings. i plan to buy an extra 1/2 dozen arrows with my setup so im looking at about 600 for EVERYTHING. Highlander, sights, quiver, rest, release, heads, 12 gold tip arrows, case etc...ive been scouting for YEARS lol...so i wont be running around looking for a spot to hunt come september lol. just some minor stand placement scouting. i cant wait. thought id let you all know that i am hopefully going to be joining you bowhunters this season! i know i should goto a proshop, but for everything im getting it cant be beat from a proshop. thanx for all the help guys. i know you had to be sick of all my posts. but now you get to answer my tons of questions in about a month when i order it and am shooting!! i just paced off my backyard today and i got a good safe almost 50yds to practice from.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: you guys maybe happy to hear..

Sounds good. If money is an issue you can pick up some really nice used bows on ebay real cheap sometimes. Especially if you don't want a Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech. Check out the Ben Pearson bows on ebay.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know the old saying, do what you gotta do.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser,

I wish I had a spare bow laying around - it would be yours. Unfortunately I gave my backupPSE to the neighbor kid a couple years ago. I know what it's like to be broke, and trying to scrounge up enough money for bow/arrows/broadheads, all while keeping your car on the road and still have a few dollars in your pocket to spend chasing skirts.

I'll keep my feelers out for a good dealhere locally.

Good luck this fall.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Reflex is a great bow. Another thing to consider is buying a bow that is one to two years old.Bows depreciate worse than a mobile home. I just traded my two year old Hoyt Xtec in for my new Trykon. I got $400 for trade on a bow that was $700 bowplus it had a $100 winnner's choice string on it. $800 bow setupand the proshop just sold it for $500.There are a lot of guys like me that trade regularly for the latest, greatest, bow. You can take advantage of this. A proshop will give you service after the sale; something to consider.HCH
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys. youve all been a huge help. i knew nothing about all this before i started. but just from reading and all the questions i know enough about it that i feel confident in what im doing. i know a proshop can be a best friend. but i know i cant afford to start out there and get what i want. id much rather support the local proshop and have them there when i have something stupid that needs done for me, but i just rather start at a mid range bow instead of a cheaper model that ill end up buying a new bow next year. figured if i do it right the first time ill get a few years out of it. i decided to go with a nap quick tune 1000 instead of a WB. mainly because i want to shoot feathers. mainly because i think they look cool! lol. and i decided to go with a tru glo micro 3000 or something like that 4 pin sight instead of the flatliner. im not sure how id like either pin setup. but i like the looks of the tru glo. seems pretty sturdy and user friendly. i dont think ill have issues with the rest that will make me wish i was shooting a WB. ive just always liked the looks of feathers on an arrow.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Some proshops will sell used bows to, I know mine does. Few years ago I friend found a good single cam bow at a pond shop, he wasn't going to buy it, so I did. Payed $75 for it fully rigged and ready to shoot. I tinkered with it for a couple of months and decided I wanted a new bow and one that was a little bit faster. I put an add in the local paper and sold it for $150 without any trouble at all. High school kid bought it who was wanting to learn to bow hunt deer.There was nothing wrong with that bow at all. You can find deals like that all the time on ebay. You can buy them cheap, and still have enough money for all new acessories and be under your budget.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know I was happy to hear.