Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first blood line with my new pup. >

My first blood line with my new pup.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first blood line with my new pup.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My first blood line with my new pup.

Some of you might have missed the new member of my family. Before reading this thread, you might want to check this one I posted in the Offseason Forum out first:http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1581400

Axel and I had our first track, he amazed me.

I went down behind my garage, a place where Axel has never ventured. I made my very first blood line. I wasn't positive what to do so I took what I read in John's book. My breeder was kind enough to supply me with some blood when I picked Axel up on Monday. I thawed some blood and down behind and upwind from the garage in the grass and trees I started a blood line at one tree. At the tree, I placed a few pieces of venison and started dribbling the blood from that tree into the wind to another tree approximately 50 yards away. Periodically dropping small pieces of venison. At that tree I turned hard right and headed out out into the woods. I only traveled approximately another 50 or so yards and I placed several good pieces of venny.

I intended to wait about a 1/2 hour or so because after all this is Axel and I's first attempt together.

Fifteen minutes later, I had Axel outside for a while prior to tracking so he could get some wild oats out of his system. I saw him head into the garage and I wanted to go in and get my camera. I thought he'd be okay for a second and went in to get my camera. I came out and called to him and he didn't come out. I went to the garage and I looked and no Axel...I almost panic'd but thought he can't be that far. I looked around the garage and thought he couldn't be...I looked and sure enough he was down on the blood line already. Mind you, he's never ventured there before and I don't know if he smelled the venison or blood seeing it was upwind from the garage.

I went to him and encouraged him. Not knowing where he started I picked him up and put him at the starting point. He immediately ate the venison and started up the blood trail. His excitement built and he moved along. He usually followed the trail downwind occassionally crossing it back and forth. At the second tree, right turn he pushed past the turn and immediately turned back, found the turn and pushed forward at a surprising pace. He found the end point, consumed the venison all the while lavishing the praise I was giving him.

I know at this point I should have a find, something for him to chew on and claim....I'm working on finding road kills but it's tough this time of year with immediate spoil.

I picked him up and lavished him with praise as we walked back to the house. I sat him down on the porch and he immediately shot past me, ran down to the starting point and proceeded to follow the same trail from begining to end at a very fast pace.

I praised him once again and we returned to the house. I praised him all the while.

I am so proud of him regardless of how simply my blood trail might have been. I know now I can increase the difficulty...he was amazing to watch and I had my doubts because I've only ever seen it one other time and that was Monday when my breeder drug a thawed out, water logged deer leg. I will never doubt again. I am truly impressed with a Dachshund's natural ability.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Default RE: My first blood line with my new pup.

Thats pretty cool man. Sounds like he is well on his way to becoming a great tracking tool and friend as well. Just curious, are you going to try and teach him to track when a deer goes in/through water?

Good luck and have fun with your new baby boy!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could have really used him once when I set up a friend and he shot a solid 150-class deer poorly and I spent the next three days searching for him including talking a friend into flying me in circles for ten minutes over the CRP field he went into. [:@]

Congrats on your new little buddy!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

AWESOME
Old 06-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a lot of fun isn't it. I going to get my girl out and work on some trails this weekend.

A suggestion, is not to worry about getting road kill for the end of the trail (you can, it's still good to do it), but you can also put a good treat at the end of the trail. But it has to be a unique treat that the dog only gets for this purpose. Iput a plate ofbilljack treats (the dogs love it) at the end of the trail, and it works well.

I'm not sure if you have a lease and collar law in your state like we do, but if you do also have a seperate collor and leash that is only used for trailing.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats way too cool Rob. I used to breed, train and competetivly hunt German Shorthaired Pointers GSP's for 15 years, and have since resigned from all of that serious stuff andnow do it for fun which is much more rewarding IMO for myself and the dogs. There is nothing like seeing a dog do what it was bred and naturally designed to do. Simply amazing and even more rewarding to watch your young pup or pups work. Brings a smile to my face everytime I see a dog working in the field in its own special environment. I can tell young Axel will have a wonderful home, good luck and love him like hes family.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:35 AM

Awesome. I love pups, they are about the most joyful things you can have. Hope they do well, I'm sure they will.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

ducsauce, thanks man, he's got a great start but I'd imagine that's in the breeding. Water...? Ain't got none..lol where I hunt but there are some around and I might run into it when I track for others...I guess I'll make practice runs across small streams to start...get him acustom to water..other than that, it's got to be in him to do it. My breeder sent me a story on his male, swam a creek 3 times to follow the trail that eventually led to the deer..amazing for sure and another one on a bear where the dog was swimming more than walking and the guys had to walk on stumps in the old swamp...Dachshund found the bear tho...

Greg / MO, I hear ya brother. I pray the bill passes in this state...

Thanks cardeer.

BobCo19-65,
thanks for the suggestion and good luck with yours. Yes, when/if the law is passed we will have the leash law. When talking with my breeder and also John Jeanneny's book it also recommends different tracking leads to be used only when tracking...I'm going to do just what the book and my breeder tells me...thanks for the help. Have you checked out www.unitedbloodtrackers.org ? I just joined myself, they have a helpful forum and soon to be member online store.

Deisel77, that's awesome and I understand what you mean, just like hunting, when you have to do it, it's less enjoyable...keep up the great work and great picture.

buckhunter44, you said that right...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Rob - I'm sure you'll have a great time training your pup and hopefully his newfound skills come in handy when needed.

I know Paul Mazur has fun with his little dachsund as well. I haven't seen Spike work a trail yet but I'm hoping to get the opportunity to check it out soon. And one of these days I'll actually get Paul to do a journal on it too!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Paul did one journal on it, and I know I have to do an update, I have lots to say, the food plot update, the marriage, the new pup...exciting times.