Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up? >

Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Old 06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

I want to add a climber to my arsenal this year. How long does it take you guys to climb up and get set up? Any problem climbing while it's still dark? How is the noise involved with climbing? I'm so used to ladder stands that I can climb almost silent. I have so many places I want to try this year and it seems a climber is a must have tool.
Oh, and do I even bother looking at any brands other than Summit or Lone Wolf?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

I use an Ol'man climber however you cannot get them anymore from what I understand unless you go with the Gorilla stands. Anyway, I can and have climbed up and down with deer under 50 yards. Very quiet when you know what your doing with the stand. It only takes moments. It's not quite as quick as a ladder or permanate stand with steps etc alread in place but the versatility for moving is nicer.

I actually prefer ladder sticks with lock ons as well but for versatility one should own at least one climber.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Myself I only use my climber for evening hunts, when Im at the base of the tree it takes anywhere from 3 to 10 min depending on how much triming and on how high I go. I have a ameristep.....non typical...lite
climber.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM

I also have a ol'man and got a new Gorilla this year its veay easy to go and down and be quite. I can be up and ready to hunt in less then five minutes or less and thats in the dark.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

I've only hunted out of my climber for one season and didn't even use it a whole lot. In my opinion no matter what climber you get, it's going to take some time getting used to it and being quiet using one. I feel like a herd of cattle coming through the woods with mine and climbing up the tree! Almost to the point where I don't want to use it anymore. I'm so used to hunting out of a lock on with tree steps that I can get into a tree with next to no noise.

As another person said, I would elect to go the climbing sticks route with a lone wolf hang on. I have that set and can get in a tree almost as fast and far quieter than with the climber. But as I said, I'm very good with it yet.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would practice a few times in the dark like this time of year. That way you don't spook the deer, you'll get used to setting it up in the dark before it really counts, and you'll get an idea of how long it will take.

In my case from standing at the base of the tree to when I'm sitting and situated it usually takes around 10 minutes. I like to take my time, making sure to be quiet, especially when ascending.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been using climbers forever. It really takes no time, and that's going slow enough not to clank and bang and things like that. If you know ahead of the time the tree you'll use it'sa lot faster. If you don't, then you have to take a few minutes to find a prospective tree in the dark, look it up and down and make sure it's not dead. Thump it a little to check for a bad sound and then climb it. All this without a light. It only takes 4 or 5 minutes at most to unpack, hook up, and start climbing. I can be in my stand and quiet in probably 7 sor 8 minutes going slow. I love 'em.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not the time it's the opportunities you have. I've been in the middle of climbing and had deer walk right underneath me. You need to pay attention. The climber allows you to rotate 360' around the tree. There are some hunts where noise isn't the issue, it's the time of day. Those are the times I sprint to the top like a lumberjack in the pole climbing contest. In the dark, nothing changes except your ears are the key. Climb a little and listen. I can tell you other then your huffing a puffing you can climb very stealthy like a Fieldmouse.

Before you pick your stand, look at the Loggy Legend. I swear by the single climbing unit. Never like double combinations. One piece, very solid feel on the climb and very comfortable during the hunt. The second thing I will add is always carry a few screw in steps. They come in very handy when an obstical like a "V" in the tree or a big branch. I've used them several times in fact once I need to get aboout 7' off the ground before I could set up and climb.

You'll love a climber.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually allow for 10 full minutes of setup time and then another 15 or so before first shooting light for the woods to "settle down" for all the noise I made going up.

Set up for me includes-
1. attatching the bow to the pull rope
2. climbing into the climber
3. placing feet in stirrups
4. easing up the tree
5. attatching safety harness to tree
6. setting deck height "just right"
7. haning 2 hooks (1= quiver, 1 for gear bag)
8. pulling up bow\
9. taking quiver off after grabbing 1 arrow
10. put bow in bow holder with arrow nocked
11. put face mask on sit down and be extra quiet
12. Listen to the footsteps below and dream it's ole mossy horns
13. wait for sunrise and realing ole mossy horns was really a coon

I'm sure there's more to it, it's been afew months[8D]

Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can hook my Lone wolf up to the tree and be at 20 ft in under 3 minutes.I can do that in the dark in complete silence.

Quick Reply: Climbers:How long does it take you to get set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.