Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Labor charges at your pro shop?? >

Labor charges at your pro shop??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Labor charges at your pro shop??

Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Labor charges at your pro shop??

At the shop I go to I don't pay for labor on my bow. I purchased it there and will have free labor for as long as I own the bow. That is great service. If I bring my wife's bow to get worked on the rate is $40 hr. I don't mind paying that as I want this guy, "Southern Hunter", in Kaufman Tx. to be around as long as I am able to draw a bow. BTW, I am an electrician and the going labor rate is $75 hr. and I sleep well at night. My boss gets most of that but I do OK.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:30 PM

Any work done on my bow is free as long as i own the bow. If he is busy, which he is getting to be this time of year. (Only two months to go), he will tell you to do it yourself ,if you can, with his equipment. The guy I deal with is awesome and I'd recommend him to anyone that wants a Bowtech.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Free for me. I buy my bows there and I expect it and they do too.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM

We charge $55 per hour in our shop but the cost of living is a bit more steep up here. (When was the last time you paid $6 for a gallon of milk?) If you bought the bow from us, it's free labor.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

imo thats very od
Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know. I guess it would depend on how much he does in an hour. Personnaly, I'd rather have it on $ per job. You know, change a string($$$), install a peep)$$$, tune$$$$, change cables etc$$$$. Even so, if you add all those things up I bet you'd find a good technician can do a lot of things in an hour. Some things take longer, but generally a good technician can do a lot of work. Now if you took your bow in and he gave you a bill for 2 hours to change some cables, I'd use him as a target for paper testing. All these things take time. It takes labor. It takes away from sales time. It cost a shop owner money. There's a lot of hidden cost in an hour of labor, like first off the employee, matching social security, insurance, medical etc etc. If I take a technician and set him aside to dedicated service, I've lost a good salesman. SO, an owner does what he feels he has to to not only survive, but to keep good help that can tune your bow. The owneralso has a family with needs, medical etc etc etc. He forked out hundreds of thousands to get this business up and going and keep it stocked with what he hopes will sell. He has to show a return on his investment or he might as well close and go on welfare. That's what everyone thinks he should do, give them welfare, reduced prices because they are a customer, reduced cost for services, freebies because they talk to him and shot a deer. Come on folks, the guy has a business, not a hang out place where everything is at cost. Almost EVERY profession in the world today starts labor cost at $60 and hour. Most are $85. Heck, the girl charges me $125 for an hour of teeth cleaning every 6 months. It's not rocket scientry she's doing. Is he any good, then he's probably worth it or near it. I don't know what his rent cost and all that are. Then man has a right to make a profit or he could have avoided all the loans, second mortgages, long days and nights and all that. Go find someone cheaper if it's too high. Do you think the less technical guy is going to give you much of a break. I doubt it, or if he does he'll be out of business the next year.

I'm retired. I've been through the gammit of loans, family feuds over no vacations, long hours, low pay, employee problems, government regulations etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc(you get the idea I hope) I don't have to bow down to every customer that thinks I was there to be their personal sugar daddy and slave. I can now stand outside the lines and say all the things I held back for years.[8D][8D] It used to slay me when the Doctor that made a million plus a year and still diagnosed half the people he met wrong complained about me charging him $1.50 to wash a shirt so I could pay my girl a few hundred a week. And of course he needed the shirt in an hour because he was heading for Tahoe for two weeks of skiing. Pay the man or move on. People used to ask me why I didn't have sales like some people. I told them, I have no idea what that guys overhead is. I charge what I have to to keep the doors open and keep my people happy. You want to try Changs washtub, go ahead. Of course we all know chang doesn't pay unemployment taxes, social security or have a legal payroll probably. It's all under the table. There, I feel better.[8D][8D]

NOPE, for a good technician I don't think $60 is outrageous at all. I'm not in his shoes. I would think a rock bottom price for an hour of labor would be $45-50. Lower than that and the guy can't afford to do labor or he's not paying himself and has not recovered $1 of his investment. But hey, what do I know. I washed dirty underwear for 30 years before I could retire.[&:] It doesn't matter what I think your proshop should charge. He sets the price, I pay or go somewhere else.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The small shops aremost often where you get the most individualized attention and the highest amount of technical knowledge and skill.These guys deserve to be paid for their time and fairly paid.Pro shops make very little on the sale of a bow,the manufacturers make the lions share.If you want that shop to survive you have to allow the guy the ability to make a living.
Hey David did you have a dry cleaners or a laundry mat?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Dry Cleaners...... plural.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

At the shop I help at it is by the service that you get done (ie. so much to reserve a peep, so much for string and cable, etc). That said, there is so much that we don't charge for. I spenta fewhours with a new shooter (he bought the bow from someone who had bought it from the shop owner) refletching arrows, putting on a sight he bought at Gander Mountain, answering all his questions plus showing him differences in equipmentand then taking him out and sighting in his bow from 10-50 yards. Total cost of his bill? Under $10.00. But he will be back (already has).
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Free labor where I bought my bow. However, I went to another shop that was closer to me rather than (1 hour away) to get my new peep installed. Anyway, the guy put on a tru-peep for me and didn't charge me a thing. He said "you'll be back." With service like that, damn straight I'll give him some business.

Quick Reply: Labor charges at your pro shop??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.